*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 Bonnet Release Leaver Gubbins.

Need a certain part? Ask on here!

Moderator: Luke

Mk5 Bonnet Release Leaver Gubbins.

Postby derv23 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Does anyone have the all the gubbins that go with the bonnet release lever ?

My bonnet has the striker and catch assy' hood lock , Iv'e picked up release lever but I dont have the bits to put it all together to work the bonnet.
ie, bracket,bush,bearing,connecting rod ect .

I have a spare bonnet which iv'e had for ages from scrappies but that is missing those parts also.
I'll try and get a eucatparts pics up to show what I mean.

If anyone has one lying about, fire me a price + postage , Cheers
MK5 Tourneo.
derv23
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Mk5 Bonnet Release Leaver Gubbins.

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:56 pm

I too am lacking the bracket. I destroyed the one on a Mk4 getting the lever off as I coudn't figure out how the hell you get it off.

I'm planning to fabricate my own and pop rivet it to the bonnet... Mine is missing too. It was held in with a nut and screw, but the vibes eventually worked the screw loose and I lost the lever :(

The connecting rod is just a rod. Get some cheap tent pegs and you could probably fabricate one up. Cheap tent pegs can be cold bent with pliers, and then heated red hot and allowed to cool to re-temper them. Or indeed heated red hot and then bent, if you prefer that, but they're pretty mild steel and tend to bend easily cold. Can get you photos tomorrow of the bits, and will do photos for the bit I'm fabbing up whenever I get round to it i,e, probably this weekend if the weather is good... It bugs me having a bit of wire hanging out of the front of the bonnet to open it. I want it sorted, because it's the kinda crap VOSA might hassle me about if they stopped me again :P

PS the 'bearing' on the lever is just two large plastic washers, kinda this shape but nowhere near to scale.. The sticky out bits fit in the large hole in the middle of the lever. And presumably a similar sized hole in the bracket (which I destroyed and therefore don't have. How the hell does that bracket get in and out of the bonnet? I figured I could make one and so destroyed it to get the lever).

Code: Select all
   _____
 _[     ]_
[_________]

Bracket it sits in is kinda shaped like this and roughly 1cm high, at least that's about the size it looks. It's not a precision component, long as the bonnet still shuts and the lever works ... ;)

Code: Select all
   __
__[  ]__

PPS I must warn you, I got really shitty grades in Metalwork at school because I was never precise enough or methodical enough :D
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Mk5 Bonnet Release Leaver Gubbins.

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:27 pm

The thread on how I fabricated a mount. On there, you can see the release pull is just a bit of wire with a bend in it so that it stays on the lever. Nothing special at all.
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Parts Wanted