*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Power steering rack seal kit

Need a certain part? Ask on here!

Moderator: Luke

Power steering rack seal kit

Postby cjm2009 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi,

I've been looking around but I can't find any UK sellers with a seal kit for my 2003 mk6 RWD transit. The pinion seal has blown (where the column meets the rack).

If anyone out there has this seal, or a complete kit so I can get my rack repaired... I have cash waiting.

(I'm in Cardiff but obviously happy to pay for postage)

Ta.
cjm2009
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Power steering rack seal kit

Postby cjm2009 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:13 pm

http://steeringseals.com/kits.html - I managed to find a kit, and hopefully it'll be with me Saturday :)

And I've pinpointed the leak. It is the pinion seal. So I'm guessing the rack will have to come out, or at least be dropped out partially for access. But since the van has been stood overnight, not much has leaked since I added the stop leak treatment & topped up the reservoir.

Obviously it still needs sorting, but I'm wondering if I should risk a journey in it this weekend (I'm supposed to be camping out Saturday night & it's a 190 mile round trip, mostly motorway)? There's next to zero chance of the garage having the parts to sort it tomorrow.
cjm2009
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Power steering rack seal kit

Postby cjm2009 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:34 pm

workshop verdict - I was correct, it was the pinion seal. Can't do much without a replacement.

They've changed the manky pipe anyway. They've said that if the seal turns up they can have a go at it tomorrow morning.
cjm2009
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Parts Wanted