*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Avoiding an ebay scam.

Spotted something of interest on eBay or other online auctions, let people know here.

Moderator: Luke

Avoiding an ebay scam.

Postby baconsdozen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:28 am

I have recently been working with a face book group who publicise and act on ebay scams.Most involve cars or motorhomes but many others involve classic cars and machinery,I have seen two recently that involved modern transits.Basically the scammers use false or hijacked accounts to list stuff at what would be bargain prices.They invite people to contact the seller often at a Gmail address.What happens is a reply is sent inviting the recipient to open a link to arrangement payment,discuss reserve or a discount etc which contains a trojan that then takes over their computer. Ebay seem powerless to do anything about these scams and the scammers responsible are listing hundreds at a time spread throughout ebay. The bottom line is,dont reply to any,if it seems to be good to be true you now know why.
Admin....if this is not appropriate or in the wrong section please act accordingly and accept my apologies.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Avoiding an ebay scam.

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Scammers rely on stupidity and greed, you’ll never help those sort of people and to be honest most of them deserve to be scammed.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Brains_transit » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:18 pm

It's like the PayPal and eBay email scams. All messages come through the apps so never reply from your email and if you forward the message to a friend the scammers email is listed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby baconsdozen » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:46 pm

I got this from ebay after I deliberately bid on a ebay item after the real owner (who I know) contacted me to say it was not and never would be for sale and that someone was running a scam using pictures lifted from his web site.
Note ebays comment "If you have already paid you do not have anything to worry about"
We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Centre to help resolve any problems you may encounter.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to eBay/ Auction Ads