*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk6 to mk7 dash

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

mk6 to mk7 dash

Postby hillman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:57 pm

hi all
just about to start putting a mk7 dash in a mk6!! anyone done it and could offer any help/advice please.
the only thing im concerned about is the clocks!! will the mk6 fit into the mk7 clock area????

I'll try to get photo's but im not very good with this uploading job so might have to wait till my son comes round.

hillman
hillman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: mk6 to mk7 dash

Postby fiestaturbo1984 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:48 pm

be very interested to hear how you get on as im starting this soo, i was going to use my original clocks
fiestaturbo1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hillman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:52 am

fiestaturbo1984 wrote:be very interested to hear how you get on as im starting this soo, i was going to use my original clocks

yeah thats what im hoping to do as ive been told they are coded !!!!

im starting it next wednesday with my mate, i think ive got everything thats needed,hopefully.

hillman
hillman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jls security » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:07 pm

How are you sorting the gear stick set up? Have u got the mk7 gear selector cables?
www.jls-security.co.uk. If i can help I will, just ask!
Vehicle security/Hands free/Van Locks/Tracker/Parking systems
jls security
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Blue van man » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Really looking forward to following this thread,i want to do the same soon so it will be nice to see it getting done.If you can manage to load pics as you go i would really appreciate that. :)

Good luck mate. :wink:
Blue van man
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hillman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:23 pm

jls security wrote:How are you sorting the gear stick set up? Have u got the mk7 gear selector cables?

hi
yes got all the gear knob and cables, needs a hole making in the floor to fit the cables through!!!

just hope we can do it as now the van is immobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!! s--t and easter is nearly here.

watch this space, there may be a tranny going cheap, hahahaha

hillman
hillman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hillman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:24 pm

Blue van man wrote:Really looking forward to following this thread,i want to do the same soon so it will be nice to see it getting done.If you can manage to load pics as you go i would really appreciate that. :)

Good luck mate. :wink:

I'll try to take some photo's as i go but im no good at uploading, have to get my son to do it.

hillman
hillman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Drizz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Subscribed!
Drizz
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby hillman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:39 pm

hey all, took some photos of this ball aching job!! bloody hard work! and more to come!
wont embed them as there are quite a few but here is a link to my sons flickr where he is hosting them for me, lucky to have such a great son! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77637597@N07/?saved=1

Stay posted for more descrution of my poor van!
hillman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jamysumm » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:47 pm

Good work man
Jamysumm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Blue van man » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi hillman,

WOW who's been a busy boy then :D looks like it was a lot of work but it will be worth it I'm sure.Can you tell me if you needed the hearer/vents pipes or do the Mk6 ones fit,what else would i need apart from the main dashboard.Hope you don't mind me asking as i really want to do it to my van soon.

Thank-you and your son for putting up the pics for us “pic junkies” looking forward to some more pics of the conversion.

Regards
BVM
Blue van man
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hillman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Blue van man wrote:Hi hillman,

WOW who's been a busy boy then :D looks like it was a lot of work but it will be worth it I'm sure.Can you tell me if you needed the hearer/vents pipes or do the Mk6 ones fit,what else would i need apart from the main dashboard.Hope you don't mind me asking as i really want to do it to my van soon.

Thank-you and your son for putting up the pics for us “pic junkies” looking forward to some more pics of the conversion.

Regards
BVM

hi bluevanman
you need everything from the mk7 and i mean everything, dash, heater vent pipes,inside screen pillar covers,different speedo clocks, its a nightmare making sure you have everything!!!!!
if you have a go you'll need loads of time and patience, which i dont have, patience that is!!!!!

hillman
hillman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Blue van man » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:48 pm

hi bluevanman
you need everything from the mk7 and i mean everything, dash, heater vent pipes,inside screen pillar covers,different speedo clocks, its a nightmare making sure you have everything!!!!!
if you have a go you'll need loads of time and patience, which i dont have, patience that is!!!!!

hillman[/quote]

Hi mate,

Thanks for the info,been looking around the scrappies up here in scotland but the Mk7s few and far between :cry: so might have to travel south to find one :roll:
Are you using the new gearstick,if so you might have to change the lever/arm on top of your gearbox for one off a Mk7 as its about half an inch longer than the Mk6 one, as i found out myself recently as i swapped the whole selector over from a Mk7 and i had quite long gear changes after that as the Mk7 shift cable is half an inch further away from where the Mk6 one sits,so this might give you a shorter shift on the new stick and Couse problems adjusting the cable.

Hope this makes sense to you,and thanks again

BVM
Blue van man
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hillman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:28 pm

hi bluevanman
yes ive been asking on this forum for info about the selector but not many people seem to no, the one on my mk6 has two different size balls were the cable attach to so we are moding it to take the mk7 cables!!!! hope it dont affect the gear change to much!!!!!

watch this space.

hillman
hillman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hillman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi all, latest pictures from my exploits on my van. Dont be fooled by it looking complete!!!!! the big problem of the day is finding a gear selector! they are like rocking horse sh**, but even harder to find! (please get in touch if you have one that would be suitable)
N.B the red panel you see where the old gear stick was is a homemade panel, nothing profesional about it! Wish me luck all!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77637597@N07/

Hillman
hillman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Customising and one offs