*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My Essex V6 Transplant

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Re: My Essex V6 Transplant

Postby Leeday » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Hi again :D

Work has caused me to hold off on the van,, but today is Saturday, so playtime :D

Took prop off and ran van without prop.. not as bad, bits of noise, but better, so fitted the mk5 prop-shaft and went for a spin and the noise is still there, getting louder the faster you go.
Mk5 prop is as straight as can be, ran a straight edge up from axle flange to gearbox flange and prop is true all the way down, and I know that the centre bearing on this prop is ok as was using it before I got the mk3 prop off of Matt.
1989 Mk3 swb, 3.0 V6 Essex, 5 Speed Manual: http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 3&t=142054
---------------
2005 Mk6 2.0 Duratorq 100 T350 MWB Semi High
---------------
DON'T CHANCE IT.......... TRANSIT!
---------------
Leeday
MK3 Massive

Postby madbri » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:06 pm

ummm next thing id do then due to the probs uve had in the past is start ure van then drop ure starter moter of :roll: this then will prove its not staying engaged ect if not buddy looks like ure box out :cry: could be the realease bearing? when ure van is making the noise have u tryed putting ure clutch down? if not id try that. if its noisey and you put ure foot on clutch and it gose prob the release bearing
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Leeday » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi Bri,

Still rattly with the clutch pushed down, Noisy when accelerating, quiet when holding speed on the flat, noisy when de-accelerating (using engine to slow you down).
From the beginning I suspected it was inside the gearbox, did send Tim a message on Saturday 30th August (before putting the same question on this thread) as I thought Tim new gearboxes and stripped them etc, but he has not sent a reply or any info / advice as to what it might be.

Am depressed about having to remove the gearbox ... again :( as its a lying on your back under the van job and working solo and don`t even know if their on any gearbox people on the Isle of Wight and I have never stripped a gearbox yet, but this will mean the van off the road .. again, and not able to work and earn £££`s.

Beginning to think I should have stripped and rebuilt the 2.0 Pinto and kept the autobox.
1989 Mk3 swb, 3.0 V6 Essex, 5 Speed Manual: http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 3&t=142054
---------------
---------------
---------------
Leeday
MK3 Massive

Postby madbri » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:30 pm

what gearbox is it lee? same as a 2.5 diesel?
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:49 pm

lee you could drop the gearbox oil into a clean container - if its ok put it back in but if its full or metal fillings then it would indicated the box has a problem - anything that bad thats caused by the box i would expect you could see something in the oil :idea: :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby madbri » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Luke wrote:lee you could drop the gearbox oil into a clean container - if its ok put it back in but if its full or metal fillings then it would indicated the box has a problem - anything that bad thats caused by the box i would expect you could see something in the oil :idea: :D

x2 good call
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby madbri » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:55 pm

and if oil clean drop ure starter off and inspect. and av a look in the bell housing for metal swarf ect
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Leeday » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:01 am

Hi Luke & Bri.

Yes its a MT75 from a 2.5 diesel,

When I did the engine swap I put new MT75 mineral gearbox oil in, so will drain it and any Foreign objects should be obvious, will do this tomorrow :D

Will do this first and report back :D

Many thanks.
---------------
---------------
---------------
Leeday
MK3 Massive

Postby madbri » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:22 pm

if u need a gearbox lee shout hard :lol: il let u have my spare 1. dont no how much it,ll cost to send tho :cry: might be cheeper to pay me veg oil and crossing and il help u for the day? or can i come across foot passenger with box :roll: let me
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Leeday » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:17 pm

madbri wrote:if u need a gearbox lee shout hard :lol: il let u have my spare 1. dont no how much it,ll cost to send tho :cry: might be cheeper to pay me veg oil and crossing and il help u for the day? or can i come across foot passenger with box :roll: let me

8) Hey Brian You`re a true star 8)

Didn`t get to look at the van today ............ an invite to a barbecue and beer seemed a more "happy" event ..... and it was :D

Will look at the van this week and keep you informed .... be good to see you here on the sunny Isle of Wight :D

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
---------------
---------------
---------------
Leeday
MK3 Massive

Postby Leeday » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:24 am

Tim has got back to me following his vacation and his opinion is that its the gearbox as I thought .....
QUOTE ---

I have to say that I have felt since first reading your message that the problem was gearbox 'related'.
You have received some good advice on the thread and have done well to follow the suggestions given.
Having checked the prop for 'true', these is really nothing else that would cause the problem you have, the constant noise, (speed related), would point to output shaft bearing, the tone of the noise will differ between 'drive' and 'over-run'. When under power or 'over-run' the helical cut of the gears pushes the input/output shaft away from the layshaft, but the helical cut of the gears results in the layshaft moving forward and backwards, this alters the area of the gear faces that are in contact, hence the tone of the noise changes.

Unfortunately, I do feel a gearbox replacement is required, although a strip and rebuild of these boxes is quite simple, we did have to spend a fair bit of time manufacturing special tools to enable us to do this, given the availability of replacements, I doubt it would be worth it.

--- UNQUOTE.

So looks like a gearbox change then :(
---------------
---------------
---------------
Leeday
MK3 Massive

Postby Leeday » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Well, have been using the van as work is busy and it`s still going, although nosier.
Have not started to remove gearbox as MOT runs out on the 24th of this month (September) so wanted to get it through its MOT before removing gearbox (as guaranteed if I took out gearbox something else would happen and the MOT would expire then I have another issue)....No gearbox, no MOT :(
So took van in for its MOT today (18/08/2014) at 2.30pm and waited.........................

waited...........................

It PASSED with NO ADVISORIES :D :D :D

So am happy now and will be looking into the gearbox problem with a happy head on in the next week or so.
---------------
---------------
---------------
Leeday
MK3 Massive

Postby Leeday » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Well been a long delay in sorting my van, due to work commitments (been using the Mondeo Estate) and lack of enthusiasm :lol:

This weekend gearbox will be coming out, have made some decent ramps to lift van as my old metal ones don`t work, keep sliding across the gravel drive and can`t get the van up `em.

Will post results of failure as gearbox is removed.
---------------
---------------
---------------
Leeday
MK3 Massive

Postby Leeday » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Well, rained most of today, so all I have done is got the van up on the home-made ramps (needed to test they were ok :lol: )

Maybe tomorrow I will wake up with some enthusiasm and get the gearbox out :?:
---------------
---------------
---------------
Leeday
MK3 Massive

Postby Leeday » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:27 pm

Drained gearbox oil out and it looks as good as when I put it in, still red and no bits, swarfs or ground up metal in it:

So onward with gearbox removal,

almost there, prop off, gearstick out, clutch cable and speedo cable disconnected, reverse light switch disconnected, starter motor out,
so far no obvious signs of damage,
working on a gravel drive is not the best as when you are on your back you will always keep finding the big stones that want to jab you in the back....
Need to now undo and remove gearbox................................................................
---------------
---------------
---------------
Leeday
MK3 Massive

PreviousNext

Return to Customising and one offs