*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

fitting a sunroof into a mk5

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

fitting a sunroof into a mk5

Postby MONSTER 0NE » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:09 am

Hello guys, has anyone had any luck fitting a sunroof to a swb low roof mk5 ?
as I'm seriously thinking about it on mine, I have thought about using one from a Granada or the like which is electric, and using a section of the original roof skin around the hole to make sure it seals properly. any info would be appreciated
Right 5th Transit now A black petrol mk5 swb, soon to be coverted into a day van mpv.
RIP CATDADDY gone but never forgotten you were a true legend
RIP Ratwood another true great gone who will also never be forgotten
MONSTER 0NE
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: fitting a sunroof into a mk5

Postby trigger » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:53 am

Be difficult as the mk5 has raised swage lines on the roof, Granada has a smooth roof but if you are confident enough to give it a go then fair play to you, just keep us updated on the results :D
2013 mk7 Transit 125 Limited swb
1982 mk2 Granada 2.9 injection special Cosworth

Mk5 Transit the daddy

trigger
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby RustWidow » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:43 am

Wow that will certainly be a project to see! Good luck
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MONSTER 0NE » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:52 am

Yeah the raised swage lines are gonna be fun, thats why im looking at welding in a section of the original roof skin. as hopefully it will be easier to blend the swage lines in over a longer distance than trying to cap the ends rifght next to the sunroof itself.
Right 5th Transit now A black petrol mk5 swb, soon to be coverted into a day van mpv.
RIP CATDADDY gone but never forgotten you were a true legend
RIP Ratwood another true great gone who will also never be forgotten
MONSTER 0NE
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Marauder » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:33 pm

I had one fitted to a similar van roof many years ago a Bedford CF,The guy fitted rubber strips in the valleys of the metal roof and then put black mastic around every thing.It worked never had a leak.Good old van that 2.3 Bedford CF.
Ford Transit 280 SWB,,Year 2008,,2.2,, If it can,t be fixed/repaired/ with a 4 pound lump hammer then it must be an electrical problem.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:48 pm

martin fitted 2 into his mk5 but they were standard ones :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Aardvark » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:01 pm

MONSTER 0NE wrote:Yeah the raised swage lines are gonna be fun, thats why im looking at welding in a section of the original roof skin. as hopefully it will be easier to blend the swage lines in over a longer distance than trying to cap the ends rifght next to the sunroof itself.

I fitted a glass pop up sunroof to a Toyota Hiarse in the late 70's. The raised swage lines had to be split and closed down flush before I could fit the sunroof frame. Well fiddly but worth it in the end.

Marauder wrote:I had one fitted to a similar van roof many years ago a Bedford CF,The guy fitted rubber strips in the valleys of the metal roof and then put black mastic around every thing.It worked never had a leak.Good old van that 2.3 Bedford CF.

I didn't fancy the effort fitting one to my old Bedford. Putting in the Chrysler 4.5 V8 was enough bother for one life. Sold it on to a guy who altered it radically and called it "Invader". Anyone remember it?
Learning to love rust.........
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Frenchie72 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:08 am

Hi I've got a webasto folding fabric sunroof fitted to my mk5 transit the biggest they do. My transit is very well known on the internet it's the blue transit cosworth which is now black horrible paint job.
Now I've brought it it's now being fully stripped and rebuilt and done properly I'm even making the body kit out of steel as the original one is cracked and too far gone. Luckily the body kit on my van is not that difficult to replicate out of steel. If you check out passionford and type in transit cosworth you will see my van when it looked good also pics of the sunroof.which the way I would go if fitting a sunroof into a transit I will start posting pics of the restoration soon.thanks frenchie.
Frenchie72
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dirtydog » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:19 am

If you want a nice big sunroof try one from a shogun
2006 Mk7 115 350 lwb, med high top
2006 Mk7 110 350 lwb, high top camper
dirtydog
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Customising and one offs