*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

VAG 1.9 TDi into a RWD transit

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

VAG 1.9 TDi into a RWD transit

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:33 pm

This thread is for discussion of the possability of fitting a VAG 1.9TDi into a Transit - specifically a mk1 flat front, but if it fits a mk1 then it will go into any rwd transit.

the engine is found in golfs, audi A4s passats etc. its a very common engine with good economy available in different guises and 130bhp on tap as standard - if i go ahead with this i will detail my conversion here (mk1 flat front) for my conversion i'm not interested in high bhp more economy and reliablity

so far i have measured a 1.9TDi and found that its tiny and fitting it into a mk1 isnt a problem space wise - the issue i'm looking at now is what transmission would bolt up?

possablitys so far are
VW LT - this would be nice as the stick is in the correct position but does the stud pattern match?

Audi 4x4 with the front diff welded up - not my ideal option but ive been told the stick is on cables so relocating it would be easier

adapterplate - could they be adapted to a transit MT75?
Luke
Site Admin

Re: VAG 1.9 TDi into a RWD transit

Postby Altransit » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Is it basically the same DW8 engine as is fitted to later LDV Pilots, although these are N/A I know :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:38 pm

Altransit wrote:Is it basically the same DW8 engine as is fitted to later LDV Pilots, although these are N/A I know :mrgreen:

really - so i might be able you get a gearbox that way :idea:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Altransit » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:41 pm

Luke wrote:
Altransit wrote:Is it basically the same DW8 engine as is fitted to later LDV Pilots, although these are N/A I know :mrgreen:

really - so i might be able you get a gearbox that way :idea:

I was asking rather than saying :lol: I thought these 1.9's were all based on the Peugeot engine, but I may well be wrong :oops:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:42 pm

so far ive found this is the block stud pattern

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac18 ... 001700.jpg

and this is an LT box off ebay from a LT46 2.8 TDI 2005

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/ ... d/$_57.JPG

might be the same :? certanly looks good from the outside :D

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/ ... l/$_57.JPG
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:14 pm

found this might be useful just posting the link here http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/tdi_en ... _small.pdf :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby dieselhead123 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi Luke, some input for all those following the thread.

The late 80's/early 90's 4 cyl was also available as a 6 cyl, this was used in the 2.4 Lt, so I would think the 2.4 Lt gearbox would fit and provide a RWD option, the engine was also used in the Volvo 240/260 diesel, so that would give you another RWD gearbox to try.

Andypdq is your man for Mdti info on these :wink:

I do have some CADs for the VW engines on the works computer, if I can manage to convert them to a format acceptable to Photobucket then I can post these up.

At the moment I am a bit lacking in info on these, we don't even see many VWs in our workshop, but I am happy to assist in researching, you can never have too much information :wink:

There would not be any problems if you did go the adapter plate route, the Mt75 would be well up for the job, you would have a number of choices as regards bell housings, (4cyl, Cologne, Di, Duratorq), differing gear lever positions, (Mk3/4/5, Mk6, Scorpio) and input shaft lengths, depending on the gearbox you selected. The Mt75 does offer the advantage of speedo compatibility, dependent on the 'hybrid' selected.

I shall be following this with interest, it might even 'spur us on' with the Audi V6 diesel conversion :lol:

Happy to help,
TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:28 pm

A guy with a baby blue mk1 flat front pop top has already done this... but I cant remember his username - haven't seen any posts from him for ages...

Used an adaptor plate with type 9
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:36 pm

cheers Tim 8)

i'm still early on in my reaserch - the disadvantage to me with the adapterplate is i dont have an MT75 in all ready if someone was doing this to a van all ready fitted with an MT75 it does look an easy block to bolt up to - like the adapterplate to block bolts would all be inside the bellhousing of the MT75

would this LT box be the one i need then :arrow:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261583087192? ... EBIDX%3AIT

and yes i might need to go down the mdti route :mrgreen: also looking at donor vehicles the audi A4 and A6 and earlier passats have the engine mounted longitudinally so might be better off going for one of those :idea:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:38 pm

MinorMatt wrote:A guy with a baby blue mk1 flat front pop top has already done this... but I cant remember his username - haven't seen any posts from him for ages...

Used an adaptor plate with type 9
yeah your right i remember now :idea: i would like to do it without a type9 tbh that was a reason i was against the isuzu engine the type9's are getting rare and expensive if i could do it with an off the shelf VW box or an MT75 that would be better :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:41 pm

Luke
Site Admin

Postby andypdq » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:34 am

A few points on this one.

I have run VW/Audi 1.9 Tdis for the last ten years or so, I can honestly say they are the best small diesel engine I have ever had. Two Audi 80 estates with 1Z 90ps engine and currently a VW Passat estate AFN 110ps. They do about 20,000 miles a year, and in all that time, apart from regular service items, I've never had to put a spanner on the engine itsef, I've done starters, alternators, PAS pumps etc, the two Audis both had well over 200,000 on them, when I'd finished with them and the only reason I changed them was because a younger lower mileage vehicle turned up very cheap, I'm talking £600 8) . They don't need topping up with oil inbetween services, are plenty powerfull enough and ridiculously economical, our current Passat does 54 mpg, long term, according to the trip computer and that's with Mrs pdq doing an eighty mile commute every day, I get more out of it, she is not a particularly light driver. :wink:, so overall an excellent choice for you van.

Gearboxes, My dad has Volvo 940 with the 2.4 idi straight six, as per LT, I have a stripped engine, so I can take a pattern off the backplate for you, I am 99% sure it is the same as the four pot version, so the Volvo box from the 760/940 would be an option too.

All the 1.9 tdis I've had have had the VP37 electronic injector pump, the first generation electronic pump derived from the VE, it has a stepper motor which turns the throttle spindle, controled by the ecu and an electronic timing solenoid, otherwise it's a VE. They have all been completely reliable. The 98 Passat I have now has been in the family since new, all it has ever had is one MAF sensor, it now has 206,000 miles. One of the Audis had 290,000. :shock: 8) VP30 anybody?

Either you drop in the engine with ecu, all the electronics, immobiliser etc, bit of a nightmare really, or you go MTDI. There have been lots of succesful MTDI conversions on the 1.9, mostly bolting them in to T4 Transporters etc and older Golfs, which had the old idi engine. The simple recipe is to fit the VP37 camplate to the idi pump, with the VP37 delivery valves, not a particularly good option, because the tdis have a higher lift camplate and the control levers in the idi pump have too small a range of movement to cover this, they need pivot points shifting to compensate, so you need control levers from a big cam di pump, also the idi pumps have a smaller diameter pump shaft. Direct injection pumps tend to have higher lift camplates with a steeper ramp, as they have to get the fuel in faster than idi, they have a shorter time to inject the same amount of fuel, than with indirect injection, they have a higher load on the shaft, so using the large shaft pumps is desirable.

I have spent hundreds of hours researching MTDI conversions and have learned a lot about what works and what doesn't. Most of the development has been done by privateers of the VW brigade, mostly in the US and Canada, despite fuel prices being half what they are here, they seem to have much more of a "can do" attitude than we Europeans :wink: :roll:.

Turbos, the later turbos are VNT, controled by the ecu, so earlier wategate ones would be easier, for MTDI. Someone (Canada or US, of course :? ) has developed a mechanical control system for VNT which would seem to work really well, much more boost at lower revs than a wastegate. I'm going to adapt this system to the Duratorq when I have time, I've spent all my van fiddling time, for the last year or so, improving the pumps.

I'll get some links up later, to the relavent stuff, if you have a few hundred hours. :lol:

Andy.
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:14 pm

cheers andy :mrgreen:

pritty dead set i'm gonna go for this now - not sure if im better to go mtdi or not

i'd like to fit an LT gearbox as it has the stick in the right place - just been looking at volvo boxes and they look more awkward for my van

what year and model LT would have the box i need :?:

also what year and spec would be my best donor car :?:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby oldskooler » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:09 am

this is a great thread to get off the ground luke. everyone interested can add theyre info and research in the one place here which will be mega usefull. 8)

was it a pd twin cam (01 0n) tdi you measured?? what we talking from the back gearbox mounting face to the front of the crank pulley.......bout 19 or 20 inches?????? i never got chance to get to the breakers with the tape!!! :D

i imagine you would obviously convert from the dual mass flywheel setup to the solid flywheel setup thats available.

from my research the 1.9pd runs a 228mm clutch disc so if using an mt75 the disc to use would be a mitsubishi l200 4x4 (225mm 23 spline as i used for the izuzu conversion) which should be well up for the job, with the solid flywheel and pressure plate.

im very tempted to have a go at this conversion in my mk2 swb daily driver van, would go like a rocket and give much better mpg than the turbo di im sure!! 8)
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:37 am

didn't realise there was a dmf on them but yes i'll probably convert to solid flywheel :idea:

not sure which one i measured (i know very little about these engines) - it was in a T5 van - i actually measured it with a piece of string held across my engine bay as i was parked in the same field then held it over the engine - it was well within what i needed :D

one thing is for certain it'd get lost in a mk2 engine bay :lol:

what i need to know next is :arrow:

1- what is the best donor car to get for the engine ie. year and model :?:

2- what LT year/engine box will fit :?:

i'm definitely going for this :mrgreen: - not decided yet to go mtdi or not but i'll have a look at the wiring when i get a donor :D
Luke
Site Admin

Next

Return to Customising and one offs