*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

VAG 1.9 TDi into a RWD transit

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Re: VAG 1.9 TDi into a RWD transit

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:45 pm

Marty.H wrote:No reverse lights needed for MOT :)
good - just found out the crafter takes it from the gearstick position so easy fix to get them working :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby dieselhead123 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:46 pm

Good to see it is all 'coming together' Luke 8)

Once again, excellent engineering there, so good to see people thinking 'outside the box' :D

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:20 pm

cheers Tim :D just ordered the radiator for it lotus elan m100 - fingers crossed this one fits better than the last one i got :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby oldskooler » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:59 am

smashing bit of progress there mate. the mounts came out well sweet. did i see you have to remove a section out of the body crossmember over the gearbox to let it sit up high enough. i take it the plan is to just box/close this up to add a bit of strength again. awesome work there.
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:40 pm

oldskooler wrote:smashing bit of progress there mate. the mounts came out well sweet. did i see you have to remove a section out of the body crossmember over the gearbox to let it sit up high enough. i take it the plan is to just box/close this up to add a bit of strength again. awesome work there.
thanks :D and yes i took that crossmember out - dependent on what box you used you might /might not have to - the original hanger would tho.

with the extra strength ive put in with the gearbox crossmember i doubt i'd need to replace the crossmember but i plan to cap it off and form a section of 6mm flat bar welded to the floor between the capped sections to give it back some strength :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:31 pm

radiator arrived today 8) very tight fit - i need to make up some hangers i'm going to make if so i can remove the front panel without touching the rad - be easier for maintenance :D

i also got the inlet manifold - as we thought it fits - just needed a little trimming where it fouled the turbo actuator - i just need to make an intake for it :D

the other issue is i need to drop the alternator for the rad to fit - i made up a bracket but it was too much messing about trying to measure it up and get it accurate enough, so ive took the full bracket off the engine that holds the tensioner,alt and pas pump - i'll take it to the garage and weld it together in place - that should work better :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:44 pm

finished (apart from painting it) the alternator bracket :D

done

and fitted on the engine 8) - you can see the new intake fitted too :D

need a new fan belt now - i think i need 240mm less than the standard one :idea: according to the book mine is a 5PK1435 so i'm trying a 5PK1195 :)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Not managed to get much time on it today but some bits have arrived 8) 8) exhaust flexi joint, rear crank seal (might as well while its out) and............ the gearstick and cables 8) 8)

tried them but i will need to cut the dash away to fit it - so i want to be 100% sure its all ok so i'll need the box back in before i start cutting - hopefully i'll get the box back in over the weekend - it will need to come out again as i still need a crafter flywheel and clutch :) i would like to swap the stick part of the gearstick for something thats more in keeping with the 70's dash :idea:

i'm planning to make a frame to hold the rad in place - thats the next job :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:12 pm

good and bad today :| :lol:

made my frame up for the rad last night - tried it thought it was ok but didnt want to fit it until i'd got the gearbox back in as it alters the front position quite a bit - anyway put the box back in this morning and tried the rad frame and although it fitted it was too close to the pulleys so back to the drawing board - i have got a better idea this time but it'll take me a few days to make it up

but...... with the box in i could position the gearstick and connect it up - works great 8) 8) only issue is, as i thought the heater box won't fit, no real way round it so i'll have to make up a new heater box or adapt somthing :? :idea:

picture of the gearstick - i really like the dash stick it gives loads of leg room for the middle passenger and its easly accessible without leaning :D this is in the final position, i need to make a bracket for the bottom part but it works as it is also i need to make a surround for it but that can be done once its on the road

not the best picture it was getting dark :roll:

i'm also on the lookout for an intercooler as the standard vw one wont fit - i could get a 100mm high 500mm wide under the front bumper but i'm not sure if i want it to be viable :?
Luke
Site Admin

Postby madbri » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:16 pm

whats rthe mk6 turbo inter cooler size? thats narrow and long
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby oldyellar » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:24 pm

Luke can you do without the glove box? Look at the oz transits the heaters are usually where the glove box is to allow room for the straight six engine
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:50 pm

madbri wrote:whats rthe mk6 turbo inter cooler size? thats narrow and long
closest one i can find so far but a bit too tall :|
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:53 pm

oldyellar wrote:Luke can you do without the glove box? Look at the oz transits the heaters are usually where the glove box is to allow room for the straight six engine
i could put the glove box where the heater was :lol:
might suit it better having the heater over that side as the pipes would fit better :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby madbri » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:00 pm

Luke wrote:
madbri wrote:whats rthe mk6 turbo inter cooler size? thats narrow and long
closest one i can find so far but a bit too tall :|

luke if any good i have a mk6 1 u could borrow to see if u can make it fit. save buying 1. il bring it north weald then u try and then bring it mania. if you want. its got the hoses aswell
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:37 pm

thanks Bri - i've got the measurements i'm just not sure which way to do it, im going to get the rad in and all the pipes see how much room i've got - if i could go up and down on the left side of the engine (as you look at it) then it would be better than going all the way round it - as now the inlet and turbo are on the same side - only issue is space it's quite cramped in there as it is :lol:

you can see in this pic

this is all ive done today (been working on the zetec fiesta mk1) - made up the 1st part of the exhaust from the turbo down - i'm just using the passat system as its not in bad nick - should be ok for a few years then i'll have a stainless system made up - also saves me shelling out for one now :D

you can also see the start of the new intake - i'm bypassing the egr so the pipework from the intercooler will go straight to the blue bit :mrgreen:
Luke
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Customising and one offs