*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

VAG 1.9 TDi into a RWD transit

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Re: VAG 1.9 TDi into a RWD transit

Postby Luke » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:13 pm

well it's now driven as a diesel van for the 1st time in 46 years - only a few feet though :D

still got the noisy clutch to sort but i should be able to MOT it 1st :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:57 am

Got the exhaust done - sort of temporally, ive just put the passat back box exiting under the passengers side tbh it wasn't that noisy running with no exhaust so i dont think noise (from the exhaust) will be a problem - some bulkhead sound deadening will be added later but its not as noisy as a Di :D

this is how it looks - ignore the mess underneath :lol:
IMG_3549.JPG

Long term i plan to make a stainless system for it but there are pipes and tanks to add underneath (for the camper part) so i don't want the exhaust to be in the way so makes more sense to build the exhaust last

i've piped up what i think is the correct vac hoses to the actuator - i've deleted the egr so not 100% sure i've got it right without a road test but it revs up ok and without too much smoke so looks promising :lol:

really need to sort an MOT out now then take the box back off and have a look whats making the rubbing noise :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:49 pm

MOT's booked for sat and it's all legal and insured :D

just got a few little jobs to do but so far seems to pull well 8)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby MinorMatt » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:22 am

Good luck!
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:53 pm

Passed 8) 8)

a few little issues to sort - it won't rev up but i think its an issue with the brake pedal switch - at least i can test drive it around now :mrgreen:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby martynx » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Luke wrote:Passed 8) 8)

a few little issues to sort - it won't rev up but i think its an issue with the brake pedal switch - at least i can test drive it around now :mrgreen:

Its common failure on the VAG's of the same vintage as your engine , the brake light even can still work but the switch gives a fault & you get engine malfunction message & bleeps etc in the dash !

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:14 pm

martynx wrote:
Luke wrote:Passed 8) 8)

Its common failure on the VAG's of the same vintage as your engine , the brake light even can still work but the switch gives a fault & you get engine malfunction message & bleeps etc in the dash !
fingers crossed :mrgreen:

do you know what the clutch one does :?: is it read by the ecu :?:

i've made a bracket to mount them against the transit pedals - just welding it up now :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby martynx » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:24 pm

Not sure if clutch switch is crucial..I'll unplug the one on my '01 Leon TDI later & see if it does 'owt interesting; )

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:28 pm

i'll have them both mounted in a bit the brake one as you say certainly makes a difference (ive tried it in my hand) - the clutch one has a vac pipe on it but it's that long since i took it off can't remember if it had anything connected :roll:

just need a break in the rain and i'll get it done :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby andz327 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:13 pm

Have you sussed out clutch noise??
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:06 pm

martynx wrote:Not sure if clutch switch is crucial..I'll unplug the one on my '01 Leon TDI later & see if it does 'owt interesting; )
according to my drawings it's wired back to the ecu so it must read it but it doesn't seem to have the same effect as the brake one

ive got the bracket on
IMG_3564[1].JPG

but ive noticed a split in the pipe from the cam cover to the intake so i'm going to replace that incase it's an issue allowing un-metered air in :idea:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:07 pm

andz327 wrote:Have you sussed out clutch noise??
sort of
the noise has drastically reduced so much so it's hardly there now - i think it must have been something rubbing - maybe the adapter plate thats now worn off
i'm going to drive it to north weald and back and see how it is then :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby andz327 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:24 pm

Maybe a adapter plate / belhousing bolt a hair too long catching the flywheel, or pressure plate bolts too long and catching the adapter plate
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:37 pm

andz327 wrote:Maybe a adapter plate / belhousing bolt a hair too long catching the flywheel, or pressure plate bolts too long and catching the adapter plate
not sure but the flywheel and clutch are all crafter the only thing i think is different is the 1.9 crank is shorter than the 2.0 crank, which is why i had to machine the adapterplate down :)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby andz327 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:19 pm

as long as its not pressure plate to strong for the smaller engine and moving the crankshaft on its thrust washer /bearing caps (excessive end float)causing flywheel to rub somewhere
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Customising and one offs