*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

What engine fit in MK1?

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

What engine fit in MK1?

Postby kof » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:48 pm

Hello!

So I got an 1977mod with a 2.4 york Diesel engine.

What kind of engine can I swap it with?
The car ir registrated as a "Engine tool" here in Norway, so I don't have to show it for M O T or something.

So I wounder, is there a engine that you can just throw in without having to do too much work?

Cheers
kof
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: What engine fit in MK1?

Postby DrDeAtH » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:32 pm

Essex V6
DrDeAtH
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DodgeRover » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:48 pm

What about turboing the York, I would try and keep your van original as the mileage is so low and the condition so good!
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby kof » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:47 pm

DodgeRover wrote:What about turboing the York, I would try and keep your van original as the mileage is so low and the condition so good!

That is what I'm thinking also
I want to keep the car as original as possible as long as possible, so I think I will keep the engine as it is for now ;)
It will stand in the garage most of the time anyway. Want to keep the mileage low.
I really dont know how to make it turbo :/ I have changed engines before, but never made any turbos on a non turbo car. Is it easy?
kof
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DodgeRover » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:40 pm

There used to be kits available to turbo them, they may have used a different injection pump, you would probably have to make an exhaust manifold for the turbo unless one from a 2.5TDi could be made to fit. The rest should be pretty straight forwards but you would need to increase the amount of fuel the injection pump delivers to make best use of the extra air from the turbo.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dumper » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:21 am

If it has the lucus pump fitted in front of the injector pipe outlets on the top of pump is a tamper proof seal remove this to get at the adjuster screw .screw it in for more fuel.
If it is a Bosch pump I think the adjuster is on the side remove the seal a ring is hold on by two Allen screws remove it and turn the splined shaft not sure Whitchway to turn it .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby kof » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:44 am

DodgeRover wrote:There used to be kits available to turbo them, they may have used a different injection pump, you would probably have to make an exhaust manifold for the turbo unless one from a 2.5TDi could be made to fit. The rest should be pretty straight forwards but you would need to increase the amount of fuel the injection pump delivers to make best use of the extra air from the turbo.

Hello

I have been looking for the kit for some days now.
If you see it one day, will you tell me? :P

Would be great to turbo the engine. I have changed the timing belt, and will change all of the gaskets in the engine next week.
Plus I will take the valves out and clean them because one is hanging. Only done 6500 miles, so I think it will be bulletproof with a turbo after this :lol:
kof
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Customising and one offs