*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Flipping Rims

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Flipping Rims

Postby Billbo#199 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Just wondering has anyone tried similar to the attached video with there transit rims ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj1qTy5BUKc

Would it put a lot of extra load on wheel bearings and hubs ??

I would like to make some banded steel's for my mk7 but came across this and taught i would ask !!
Billbo#199
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Flipping Rims

Postby Aardvark » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Back in the day (50's & 60's) this was a popular mod. Bearing problems only showed up on the front. Rears no bother at all. On the front we found you needed to either limit the positive offset to a very small amount or keep the offset the same but use a wider rim to get "the look". If you went too mad with it the bearings had a short life and the steering geometry was messed up and made the steering feel weird.
Proceed with caution.
Learning to love rust.........
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Flipping Rims

Postby Billbo#199 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Aardvark wrote:Back in the day (50's & 60's) this was a popular mod. Bearing problems only showed up on the front. Rears no bother at all. On the front we found you needed to either limit the positive offset to a very small amount or keep the offset the same but use a wider rim to get "the look". If you went too mad with it the bearings had a short life and the steering geometry was messed up and made the steering feel weird.
Proceed with caution.

Thanks for your reply !!

Ive found a set of 15" custom steelies nice and cheap so i think im gona make +3" bands instead of flipping the centers , ill get some pics up soon .
Billbo#199
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Customising and one offs