*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lowering

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Lowering

Postby blueh2steve » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:51 pm

transit sport.jpg
Is it possible to get this lowered a bit, how big a job would it be and what sort of cost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blueh2steve
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Lowering

Postby ake » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:50 am

Depends how much you pay for the bricks.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Nibbles02 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Hi mate if it works theres a link for a company that may help. http://leafsprings.co.uk/lower-ford-tra ... l-in-offer
I'll never make it, but least ive tried :roll:
Nibbles02
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby blueh2steve » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:18 pm

Nibbles02 wrote:Hi mate if it works theres a link for a company that may help. http://leafsprings.co.uk/lower-ford-tra ... l-in-offer

thanks for the link
blueh2steve
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Nibbles02 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:36 pm

No problem mate

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
I'll never make it, but least ive tried :roll:
Nibbles02
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Teddytransit » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:26 pm

Hello Blue2Steve

I have the exact same van as you and have lowered mine all round this week!

I just wrote more of an extensive explanation on another thread about lowering a mk7.

This is how I did mine briefly

Gaz used mine a guinea pig had 2 Coilovers for the front made up at £180 each. These are height adjustable only the damping is fixed rate and if you wanted can go lower enough to put the Sport Van's front bumper on the floor! I've not done this!

On the rear I had a set of Flat leaf springs. I had these on my Mk6 so I kept them when I scrapped my old 52 plate and had them shot blasted/powder coated and the MK7 bushes installed. I have seen OE leaf spring re-cambered to give a similar drop. Mine are fitted with a set of shortened Gaz shocks on the rear. These aren't really necessary the standard ford ones work just fine.

I don't know how to up load pictures but give me an e-mail address and I can send you some pictures as mine is also the same Blue same as yours!

This firm were happy to make up some replacement coil springs if I could have sent them a spring to work from

http://www.springcoil.co.uk/

Fitting the parts is a straight forward swap though the heat this week made it harder than it should have been!

The hardest part is getting the bits to begin with as very little is available of the shelf like it is for VW Transporters.

Good luck feel free to message me and I'll take you through in more detail how I lowered mine in more detail.

Regards

Edd
Teddytransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Teddytransit » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:36 pm

Forgot to mention

With a lowered set of coil springs which was how I lowered my Mk6 at the front I found that the shock would extend to far past the top of the new lowered spring. This basically means the top mount and bearing are not held in place with the top of the spring and it end up moving over and rubbing against the shock centre shaft. Again Gaz to the rescue what they did for £80 was take my OE damper remove the standard insert and fit their own shortened and up rated insert which held the spring and top mount firmly in place and the van went round corners like a mini.... almost!!

Now the MK6 and 7 springs differ the MK6 is a better single diameter spring, the Mk7 has the dreaded pigs tail at the top so I don't know if the a shortened MK7 spring has the same issue. Either way Gaz do good work for in my opinion not a lot of money and they currently have 2 Mk7 front legs I left with them which is another story!

Again if someone can tell me in simple terms step by step how to up load photos I'll put some up of both my Mk6 and 7 and all the bits along the way as they're all on my phone!
Teddytransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Teddytransit » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:41 pm

IMG_0494.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teddytransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Teddytransit » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:49 pm

coilover.JPG
Teddytransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Teddytransit » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:51 pm

Lowered ST.JPG

Not the best Photo, I'm on nights now I'll try to get some better ones when I get up Sunday
Teddytransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Teddytransit » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:52 pm

Old Van.JPG
Teddytransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Teddytransit » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:56 pm

old van 1.JPG
Teddytransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Teddytransit » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:57 pm

banded steel rear.JPG
Teddytransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Teddytransit » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:58 pm

rear springs.JPG
Teddytransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Teddytransit » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:01 am

banded steels.JPG
Teddytransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Customising and one offs