*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fixing a missing bonnet release lever and lever pivot

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Fixing a missing bonnet release lever and lever pivot

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:21 pm

So, ever since I got it the van's bonnet release lever has never been right. It was just screwed in to a nut that had been shoved in the hole, and would keep going loose. Eventually it fell out completely, much to the disgust of the garage I took it to, who had to faff around for ages to get it open (sorry guys!).

Last week I went and picked up the lever, but could not figure out how to get the thing it attaches to out of the bonnet. I eventually just wrenched the lever off with big long pliers, figuring I'd find a way to attach it.

This is how I did it...

Photo 1: The beginning state. Nothing to attach the lever to (there should be a kinda hat-shaped bit of metal there that it attaches to, instead of a hole.

20161030_135551.jpg

Photo 2: Got some flat steel from Mr B and Mr Q, and set about it with a blowtorch and pliers. Bent it roughly into the shape I wanted ... Very roughly :)

The stuff is about 2 mm thick. WAY thicker than what I need for this ... which is just a pivot for a lever!

I then had to hacksaw the bit off the end, and hacksaw it off the bar. Hard work with the junior hacksaw ...

20161030_144555.jpg

Photo 3: Drilled holes for rivets, also filed the rough edges down ...

20161030_153720.jpg

Photo 4: Pop-riveted it in place.

20161030_154519.jpg

Photo 5: All ready to bolt together. M6 bolt through it, and THIS time ... that's a nylon locknut in there! Don't want it falling out again ...

20161030_162000.jpg

Job's a good'un :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Fixing a missing bonnet release lever and lever pivot

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:34 pm

I am now tempted to test my crappy fabrication skills further, and make up a new lever to replace that rusty one ... :) But it's dark now, so a job for another day ... Maybe I'll just take it off and paint it with Smoothrite. I left the little wire loop in place just in case it ever fails again.
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Customising and one offs