*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Windows, respray and rock and roll bed

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Windows, respray and rock and roll bed

Postby Nicky B » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi All,

I'm just looking at buying a 2011/2012 ford transit panel van. My plan is then to put in:

Windows (2 at side and 2 in back doors)
A rock and roll bed (with seat belt seating for 3)
Take out the bulk head
Re-spray (unless I get a blue one :) )

Can anyone give me ball park costs for this work? I can't do this myself so I'll need to find someone to do it for me. I'm trying to work out my budget for the van.

Also if i have an overall budget of around £8k am i better to go for an older van with lower mileage, or a newer van with high mileage?

Thanks!

Nicky
Nicky B

Re: Windows, respray and rock and roll bed

Postby Beaker » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:39 pm

Remove bulkhead - free. Ten minute job with a torx driver .

Windows - Depends on whether you want opening side windows or not. Give Vanbond.co.uk a ring. Chris did mine (non-opening) for around £600.

Rock and roll bed - depends on how much you want to pay for one - cheap fabricated frames are available on ebay for only a couple hundred quid. If you want a crash tested, fully upholstered M1 type, it could easily be ten times that amount!

Re-spray - again depends on if you want something fancy, and who does it. Won't be cheap though!

Is your budget including the conversion, or just the van?
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Nicky B » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks Beaker!

My budget is including conversion, so i guess £6k for van, £1k for rock and roll bed (for my 3 kids so would need crash tested version) and £1k windows (would want opening). By the sound of it might have to succumb to a white van until I can save more pennies......

Any extra advice much appreciated,

Thanks again,

Nicky
Nicky B

Postby ned » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:50 am

Instead of a respray have you considered vinyl wrapping the van probably cheaper and easier than a respray but with your budget you will probably find a van in your desired colour.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Beaker » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:52 pm

Nicky B wrote:Thanks Beaker!

My budget is including conversion, so i guess £6k for van, £1k for rock and roll bed (for my 3 kids so would need crash tested version) and £1k windows (would want opening). By the sound of it might have to succumb to a white van until I can save more pennies......

Any extra advice much appreciated,

Thanks again,

Nicky

No problem, post up in the Camper Van section rather than this one - lots more camper related posts going on there.

You can't take the cheap option when it comes to your kids safety.

You should get change out of a grand for your windows - opening ones are a bit more expensive to buy but the fitting is the same. Vanbond are north Leicestershire based, but will come to you so if you are even remotely near, I can recomend them.
Vinyl wrapping is well worth investigating in my opinion. I can't do it on mine as there are too many dents!
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Customising and one offs