*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Recaro Style refurbishment help/advice

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Recaro Style refurbishment help/advice

Postby richgold » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:53 pm

I have one of these that has had my arse on it too many times. It's done about 450k with me on it so its time for a spruce up. It's currently on my kitchen table (naturally) with the thigh roll removed and I plan to strip the rest of the seat this week. The seat covers have started to get small lumps of muck/patrtcles of seat foam inside the covers themselves which are sticking together to form lumps you can feel through the covers. I cleaned a load of crap out of the thigh roll and it seems it will go back together after just a clean out.
My questions for anyone who has recovered seats or fitted heated seat elements are these:
Is there a fabric or mesh i can glue to the original foam to prevent any further wear? The foam is in reasonably good condition.
I believe my seat to have heated base and back, but only the base has ever worked. I plan to re-instate/repair a backrest heating element, or fit a new one if I'm wrong and there isnt already one in there. Will any 12v heating element be ok? (from another car perhaps, as long as it fits).
How do you affix a heating element? its it glued it?
I'll get some pictures taken and added to this tomrrow when I continue stripping it down, any help would be appreciated.
Vauxhall Nova GTE 1300 1988 in Royal Blue - My garage ornament.
Volkswagen Crafter 136 LWB 2016 back in white and staying that way! SOLD!!!
Transit 115 Jumbo 2010 - SOLD!
Audi TT 225 Roadster - SOLD!
Mercedes Sprinter 311 LWB 2004 - SOLD!
richgold
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Recaro Style refurbishment help/advice

Postby keyi » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:54 pm

id love to fit some recaros in mine, the leather ones that came with my 2017 dual cab are really nice but they are defo not built for the speed the van can do. where can you buy them?
keyi
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Recaro Style refurbishment help/advice

Postby richgold » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:26 pm

Ebay has lots for sale if you have deep pockets, or just buy some out of a normal car and fit those. The seat pictured above is the same as an Audi S3 seat.

Believe it or not I've waited all this time since I first started this thread to get new parts from Reacro in Germany and they only arrived yesterday, with nothing I ordered in the box - every item was wrong.

Hopefully I wont have another 9 week wait for the right parts.
Vauxhall Nova GTE 1300 1988 in Royal Blue - My garage ornament.
Volkswagen Crafter 136 LWB 2016 back in white and staying that way! SOLD!!!
Transit 115 Jumbo 2010 - SOLD!
Audi TT 225 Roadster - SOLD!
Mercedes Sprinter 311 LWB 2004 - SOLD!
richgold
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Customising and one offs