*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

ALLOY WHEEL ADAPTERS

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

ALLOY WHEEL ADAPTERS

Postby lpg_motors » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:14 pm

I'm thinking of having another batch of Alloy Wheel Adapters made by a local engineering shop.

If you would be interested in a pair or a set of four let me know as they have a minimum run they will produce.

I'm sure they worked out about £150 for four last time, this was cost price, no profits involved.

Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.
lpg_motors
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: ALLOY WHEEL ADAPTERS

Postby oldmadbiker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:44 pm

to adapt from what pcd to what pcd....
ive got a mk 5 5x160 and need adaptors so that i can put bigger wheels on
oldmadbiker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:57 pm

they could do with a boss to support the smaller pcd wheel :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Nuckin Futs » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:59 pm

They look good,
I would like to put alloys I have on my SWB minibus but are there any dangers of using car wheels & tyres?

I need 5 x 108
Last edited by Nuckin Futs on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuckin Futs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby newyorkdrummer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:12 pm

Put me down for a set off 4 what PCD are they cheers Colly
newyorkdrummer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dd9ucx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:54 pm

i would like some at 5 x 160 to 5x112
how do they go without the centering ring?
dd9ucx
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby lpg_motors » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:42 am

The previous set had a PCD of 120mm this covers BMW, newer Range Rover and Discovery wheels giving easy cheap access to 16" to 19" alloys. If enough people were interested other PCDs could be machined. I can't find the thread for the last lot that were made, I'm sure there were pictures of Transits fitted with them.

They don't have a centre boss to carry the wheel, but neither does the Transit rear axle.

Think I've just found it:-

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31519

It was found on my previous name that I can't seem to sign in as now!! hence the new nom de plume
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.
lpg_motors
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby uneek.me » Fri May 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi there. I'll have a set of 5x120 PCD ones please.
I buy and sell 2nd hand alloy wheels (about 10-15 sets a week) so I feel I can contribute a little to this as to what PCD is preferable. It all depends on two things: your budget, and the weight you carry

I'm going for the 5x120 option as I have found that BMW wheels are dirt cheap, I've bought 16s for £40 a set and even Land Rover/Range Rover/X5 18s for about £100 as they all want 22s, also there are cheap BBS's available off the BMWs and BMW drivers just don't seem to like to buy aftermarket wheels (they go mad for genuine 18s tho) so 17s and 18s can be had for less than £100, however the Land Rover wheels are going to be the ones with the highest weight rating. N.B. The 3-series BMW has an offset of around 45mm so keeps the wheels tight in, but 5-6-7-series has an offset of 15-20mm, worth bearing in mind as they'd stick out an extra inch.

5x112 wheels can also be found cheaply, no one wants the standard 16s on an Audi A4/A6 or Merc or aftermarket 16s or 17s, BUT larger wheels e.g. 18s comand quite strong money as they're quite rare as standard fit, if they say AMG on them every Vito/Merc owner wants them, if they say BBS, Audi, VW, Bentley then Audi/VW/Transporter boys go mad for em! BUT as they do fit Transporter and Vito Vans there is a large selection of new aftermarket commercial alloy wheels that have a high load rating, but then you're spending mega money. Most 5x112 wheels have an offset around the 30-40mm mark.

So, 5x120 cheap, good selection of nice second hand wheels, decent load rating on Land Rover/Range Rover/X5 wheels wheels, few, if any aftermarket comercial wheels available new or secondhand.
5x112 cheap if undesireable, reasonable selection of secondhand wheels, large selection of new comercial alloys ££££.
This is only meant to be a rough guide, if anyone has any further questions I'll be happy to help if I can. Cheers, Chris :D
uneek.me
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby uneek.me » Fri May 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Just a note. 5x108 are expensive wheels as they fit all the Focus', Connects, Mondeos and the boyracers always want better wheels on their Focus' I command top money for 5x108 and 5x110 fitment wheels as they're quite rare and in demand.
uneek.me
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MrMPuk » Sat May 22, 2010 12:55 am

uneek.me wrote:Just a note. 5x108 are expensive wheels as they fit all the Focus', Connects, Mondeos and the boyracers always want better wheels on their Focus' I command top money for 5x108 and 5x110 fitment wheels as they're quite rare and in demand.

5x108 also means you've got more choice though.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby uneek.me » Sat May 22, 2010 2:00 am

Like I say it all depends on your buget, if you can afford new wheels (I can't) then you are right in saying that there is a good selection available now to feed the modern Ford scene, but no more so than the other fitments listed.

I'm talking second hand wheels on a budget, and there is nowhere near as much choice as the other fitments listed here.
I mean you have whatever size you want if you have seen wheels you want, I'm just trying to help the clueless or confused with shallow pockets.

5x108 is one of few ways you can get genuine Ford wheels, that said the Galaxy is 5x112(VW) as is the Granada, and the Probe and Freda are 5x114(Mazda). I know that over the past 6 months out of the 10 sets a week I sell on average, I've had one set of 5x108s (many 5x108 cars come with steel wheels so owners are desperate to upgrade to alloys, especially Focus, Mondeo and Transit Connect owners) and they made top money, the only commercial application is the Connect. It is also quite a new fitment, first found on Volvos (not all), not taken on by Ford until 2001 Mondeo, 2004 Focus etc. So demand for 2nd hand is high and supply is low driving prices up. Jag X & S types also use them, this is probably the best source of low budget big bling 2nd hand rims. Newer big Peugeots and some oddball Renaults and 01> Laguna also use the size.

5x110. Same is true for Saab/Vaux 5x110 though they are getting cheaper as Saab introduced it in 94 (with 45mm offset), rarely fitted with fancy rims tho, and Vaux on 94 Omega (30mm offset) and 97 Vectra (45mm off). These cars until the early noughtys were rarely fitted with anything nice or much larger than 15"/16". Early 15s are now cheap tho.

Where as 5x120 has been on BMWs since the 80s so loads of cheap secondhand wheels and Range Rover since '94, Discovery since '99, 16" Rangerover wheels can be bought for £60-£80 and you can sell the tyres off them for about the same, so theoretically free 16" alloys with a decent load rating. In my personal opinion, and using my experiece of trading hundreds, probably getting into 1000+ sets of wheels if you are after nice 16,17,18 inch wheels then you will struggle to get cheaper than 5x120 but you are right to say that there is a more limited choice new, or commercial spec.

5x112 has been around forever on Mercs, and was fitted to Granadas, and since 97ish on Passats/A4s so again. 5x112 however probably has the largest selection of new commercial, and a good choice of cheap secondhand 16 and 17" wheels.

5x114 would be a good size too as most Jap cars/vans since the early 90s are this fitment and they all want 18" split rims etc so 17" are worth peanuts, especially with a 40mm ish offset as they all want lower offsets to fill the arches, you can pick up a set of standard Genuine Ford Probe 16" wheels for about £60 with tyres! 5x114 has few commercial wheels, but has a huge availability of high quality lightweight japanese racing type wheels if you have a big wallet, or a vast selection of cheap secondhand 15,16 and 17 inchers. I just sold about 15 sets this fitment including 18" 350Z alloys with new Dunlops for just £255, 17" 350Z with excellent tyres for £165. If they were 5x108 you could easily double those prices.

Main reason for all this is that almost all BMWs, Mercs, Audis, highend Jap stuff comes with at least 16" often 17 or 18" alloys and are sold to the sort of people (vain) that want bigger, flashier wheels to impress their mates down the Golf club, whereas most Focus' (Foci?) and Mondeos come with steel wheels as standard and are sold in huge volume, so here are more 'normal' people who own them that want to upgrade to 16 or 17" wheels.
Last edited by uneek.me on Sun May 23, 2010 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
uneek.me
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Luke » Sat May 22, 2010 9:35 am

good info there uneek.me 8) 8)

another plus with some sizes bmw, merc, jap etc. is you can get sets with wider rears 8)

also i personally would never fit adapters on a transit without the centre boss, when choosing a pcd for an adapter unless you are doing it for a specific set of wheels then always go for the smallest boss as you can always put an adapter ring on :idea: eg. 112x5 with a 57mm boss is vw and will fit merc with a 57-66mm ring but if you have them with a 66mm boss they you'll never be able to fit vw wheels on :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby uneek.me » Sun May 23, 2010 12:07 am

Spot on Luke, otherwise just the studs are supporting the whole weight of the van and any load too. But I think as mentioned by someone earlier the rears don't have a boss anyway, but Ford were not anticipating us lot moving the point of leverage outwards by 2"! It's a bit of a minefield really, if anyones wheels fall off when they've got 2 ton in the back be sure to let us know :lol:

You can get spigot rings off ebay for a fiver a set to make up the difference between centre bore of hub/adaptor and that of the wheel, these are used with almost all aftermarket wheels. Like you say always go for the smallest centre bore availabe for the PCD (fitment) you're after. Check out this link for almost all the fitment info you'll ever need, it's all one mans work, so is quite organic and is always been added too, e.g. some info is repeated. n.b. commercial vehicles are right at the bottom so you won't find the Transit in any of the Ford sections. A great resource to add to your favorites tho:
http://www.carlsalter.com/wheel_fitments.html

Update: Just spotted an error on the above site, it says Transit connect is 5x114, this is wrong it is 5x108
uneek.me
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby uneek.me » Tue May 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Any body know what's happening with these? I've got a spangly set of split rim 17" BMW BBS's here with tyres ready to go on my horrible transit :lol: , I am actually deadly serious. I've PM'd lpg_motors but no reply. Gonna ask a mate if he'd be interested in making some up if this isn't going to happen on here. Can anyone shed any light on it??
uneek.me
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Luke » Wed May 26, 2010 9:34 pm

uneek.me wrote:but Ford were not anticipating us lot moving the point of leverage outwards by 2"!

and reducing the PCD by 2" :!: :!:

if its any help to you i did a bit of a how too on adapters ages back :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2903 theres a drawing could be used a starting point :D
Luke
Site Admin

Next

Return to Customising and one offs