*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk1 and 2 independant front suspension conversion!

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Mk1 and 2 independant front suspension conversion!

Postby Luke » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:53 pm

If any of you mk1/2 owners are considering doing this ifs conversion and need any details, discuss it here ive done it to my old camper!
Advantages:-
rack and pinion steering
better turning circle
easier power steering option
less floating and steering vagueness
disadvantages:-
heavier
bit of a job to do - but worth it in the end 8)

Ive since sold the camper (piccy in the gallery) but im considering doing it again to my minibus! If anyone else has done it let me know here!! i'd be interested to chat!!
Luke
Site Admin

Postby FredTransit » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:58 pm

I think sixwheelphil has done this, he's got the Mk3 front end set up on his LWB, with the 15in wheels. You out there Phil?
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

ifs

Postby sixwheelphil » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:41 pm

Hello, yes, it's right, my old MK1 has got ifs fitted, it's not finished yet, had to be put on hold for a while, should be starting on it again later this year. Got to agree with Luke, it is a bit of a job.
sixwheelphil
Customised!!

Postby Luke » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:51 pm

Hi phil and welcome to the site :D madmark has told me alot about you! ....... well your 6 wheeler 8) any chance of getting us some piccys on 8)
Out of interest phil how did you mount the shocker tops when doing the ifs?
Luke
Site Admin

pics & ifs

Postby sixwheelphil » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:09 pm

Luke, I would put pics of the 6 wheeler on if I had some idea how to do it, I've sat & read your instructions, fine they are too, they just don't mean anything to me. What we did with the ifs was, cut the rails in front of the bulkhead, and take the inner wheel arches with it, so the turrets would be in the right place. Once I can get the drop on putting pics on the site, I'll be able to show how we've done it.
sixwheelphil
Customised!!

Postby Luke » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:26 pm

Phil - you did it different to me :) i think i might have gone the hard way round i made seperate turrets for the suspention tops! :? ill get some photos up one day!!!(when i can find them) :lol:

As for the photo instructions :? - they are abit difficult and im not very good at explaining things either :? If anyone can describe how to do it better than i did please PM me the instructions and ill put some better ones in!!!
Luke
Site Admin

instructions

Postby sixwheelphil » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:39 pm

Luke, it's not your instructions that are the problem, read my e-mail address, that's the problem.
sixwheelphil
Customised!!

Postby madmark » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:20 am

fred is the best explaining how to do it through ! still gota try and remember how to do it need to find something else to post quick! :lol:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby FredTransit » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:26 am

OK Phil, give us a ring and I will talk you down!! I think it's easier if you are on th eline to somebody, and actually on the websites syep by step.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby sixwheelphil » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:44 pm

Will do Fred.
sixwheelphil
Customised!!

Postby FredTransit » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:48 pm

Or take a look at the new insturctions wot I rote that Luke has now posted at the top of the gallery page. Hope they help, and hope I haven't said too much that's blindingly obvious and insulted anybody's inteligence :wink:
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby sixwheelphil » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:46 am

Lets talk IFS. Luke, photos of how you did yours, any chance they may appear soon? In the mean time, could you tell more about how you did the conversion? Would I be right in thinking you you fitted it to the original chassis?.
sixwheelphil
Customised!!

Postby Luke » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:04 am

oops forgot to get the photo's today!! :oops: Ill put them up soon!!! promise!!!
Basically how i did it was weld 2 turrets (to hold the shocker tops) to the mk3 front crossmember/subframe!!!
Then i bolted the mk3 crossmember/subframe into the existing front leafspring mountings!!
cut away the chassis real leafspring bump stops, to fasten the back of the subframe i made 4 plates which were welded to the chassis rails and bolted through the back of the subframe to allow it all to be removed!!
some of the problems i had were i had to cut away quite abit of the innerwings to get the turrets in place (the turrets wernt welded to the body at all) this impeeded towards the accelerator more than i would have liked!!
also i had got the camber of one of the wheels wrong so i had to take the whole thing off and calculate, cut and reweld it - turned out ok though!!
the rest of it steering column etc seemed almost too easy lined up perfect with the mk1 pedal box!!!
The whole thing was a great job - abit over engineered if anything - i could have got away with lighter gauge steel!!

Im almost definatly going to do it again not for a while though!!!, to my minibus, but im going copy you and fit the mk3 inner arches!!! :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby sixwheelphil » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:15 pm

As you say about getting the camber wrong, that's why we took the chassis and inner archs as one, it had to be in the right place when it went in the MK1. Wasn't too keen on chopping the chassis out of mine, wanted to do like Ford did, put the chanel over the original chassis, couldn't get hold of any, good job too, would've had the problem getting everything in the right place. You're not on your own with the over engineering, better safe than sorry.
sixwheelphil
Customised!!

Postby Luke » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:50 pm

Ok ive got some piccys!!! :D
so what do you reckon???? :shock:
Luke
Site Admin

Next

Return to Customising and one offs