*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Applying window film tint

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Re: Applying window film tint

Postby matthew2riches » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Pics...............

Tried doing my land rover the other day but all the glass in the boot area are concave and the eBay shite wouldn't shrink with heat so am waiting on some Solar Guard film which is what the pros use but was £60 for 6 meters :cry:
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby transittrev » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:23 pm

always use a squeegee and wrap it in tissue so you dont scratch the tint also soaks any surplus water around windows good luck
transittrev
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Muttley » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Tip for the top edge of drop glass, wait until everything is proper dry and use a good quality glass file to (GENTLY) taper the edge of the tint into the glass. This smooths out the edge and stops it lifting with repeated use.
Expert burns receiver.
Bodger Extraordinaire!!
Old Fords never die, however, mine are on life support
Fallen in love/hate with Mk6s
Muttley
MK3 Massive

Postby staffy31 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:31 pm

hi ive got 2 windows to do on my transit camper does anyone know wer to get cheap tint coz halfords is dear
thanks
:)
staffy31
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby staffy31 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:36 pm

gonna atempt the windows soon guys wish me luck !
its a sliding side window and a single backdoor one in a old bt transit van
:lol:
staffy31
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Stuart30 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 am

staffy31 wrote:gonna atempt the windows soon guys wish me luck !

How did you get on...ive got both back doors and two sliding windows on mk Mk5 to do.

Where would you guys recommend getting the film from...tinting firm has quoted £140 for four windows..is that a fair price.?
Stuart30
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bezzabsa » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:58 pm

Stuart30 wrote:
staffy31 wrote:gonna atempt the windows soon guys wish me luck !

How did you get on...ive got both back doors and two sliding windows on mk Mk5 to do.

Where would you guys recommend getting the film from...tinting firm has quoted £140 for four windows..is that a fair price.?

few places round the Black country that quote £50 for 3 windows (hatch and 2 side) so think about £70 ish is a fair price...for £140 i'd expect ALL windows done for that!!! :shock:
Driving a Transit estate...Mondeo 130 Tdci 2002 ;)
Yam Yam from yamyam land ayit ??
Bostin' ay it?
bezzabsa
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jd-lee » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:05 am

alcapone wrote:Firewalker asked about applying window tint film in another topic (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=87011) so rather than go off thread, I thought it might be better to answer in a new topic.

Here is how I do it...

Patience and time is the key, don’t rush it.

1 – cut the exact size rectangle out of the film by placing it on a hardboard surface and using a steel rule and very sharp knife (new Stanley knife blade)
2 – tape the film to the window so the top, sides and bottom are in the right place
3 – hold the film down at the rounded corners and trim with the sharp blade (make sure none of the film will be lifted over the rubber seal)
4 – clean the window area with slightly soapy water and dry off with a lint free cloth (you don’t want the cloth to leave tiny bits on the glass to get stuck under the film)
5 – spray a soapy water mix onto the glass, make sure the whole area is wet
6 – remove the backing from the film (pick a corner and using tape on both sides, peel apart)
6a - spray the sticky side of the film as you peel the backing off, it helps prevent the film sticking together if it folds over
7 – make sure the film doesn’t bend over and stick to itself – if it does, bin it and start again
8 – place the film on the wet window
9 – spray soapy water onto the top of the film – this will aide the squeegee in the next step
10 – squeegee the film - start in the centre and hold in place with your hand next to where you start each stroke then squeegee away from your hand towards the edge of the window (I find a 3 to 4 inch squeegee about the right size)
11 – as you get the water out of the film, dry around the edges

For a window that winds down, cut the film an inch bigger in height. When you apply it to the window, have the window wound up and apply the bottom part first, sliding it under the rubber seal (make sure you have wetted under the seal before applying the film). Cut the edges at least an eighth of an inch away from the side seals so they don’t touch the film at all as the window goes up and down. Also make sure the top of the film doesn’t touch the top seal.

The only thing I find difficult is keeping the area clean and keeping dust out of the air. Any dust on the film will show as a speck/bubble. Don’t let the film sit around once the backing is removed, it will collect dust very quickly.

hi mate, brillant post.
wheres the best place to order window tinting film? dont want to end up with the film that looks purple

2007 Transit GLX 130 SWB - Now reprogrammed ECU to 140bhp and retuned to 170bhp by the man himself... vantuner - upgrade to six speed and has All the toys ;-)
Custom made front grill

jd-lee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sportscott » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:35 pm

Just a tip the side windows on a mk3/4/5 are concave so it's best to shrink excess foil with a hairdryer when applied wet to get the creases out. Done
one on my van but don't have a hairdryer so used a steam iron held above.
not a really good picture but I done the window in the side door and it does'nt have the creases that can be seen in the rear window.
some better pics
use the hair dryer in a spiral motion from the middle of the window out or from the middle to each corner :wink:
Transit the everyday mans van....
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sportscott » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm in Poland and can get tinting foil quite cheap and good quality, would be asking about 20 pounds for 50cm x 300 maybe a little more if you want something special plus postage.
Heat shrinkable 75 x 300 35 pound a roll
this one for example for 20 squid from 35% to 90% good idea I came on here because just got an idea for a product to e.bay. :D
Transit the everyday mans van....
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jd-lee » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:10 pm

sportscott wrote:I'm in Poland and can get tinting foil quite cheap and good quality, would be asking about 20 pounds for 50cm x 300 maybe a little more if you want something special plus postage.
Heat shrinkable 75 x 300 35 pound a roll
this one for example for 20 squid from 35% to 90% good idea I came on here because just got an idea for a product to e.bay. :D

How wide and long are the rolls mate?
2007 Transit GLX 130 SWB - Now reprogrammed ECU to 140bhp and retuned to 170bhp by the man himself... vantuner - upgrade to six speed and has All the toys ;-)
Custom made front grill

jd-lee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gottobedeisel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:37 pm

6 mtr rolls on ebay for under a tenner
If it aint broke dont piss about with it
gottobedeisel
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jd-lee » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:45 am

gottobedeisel wrote:6 mtr rolls on ebay for under a tenner

Yeah but only trouble is, is it sh*t.

U pay for what u get :?:
Custom made front grill

jd-lee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gottobedeisel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Heres a quick question will all these frosticals (cold weather) make a differance to window tinting
If it aint broke dont piss about with it
gottobedeisel
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby always1more » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:00 pm

always1more
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Customising and one offs