*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mid-roof Transit with roof racks and wheelspin problems ?

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Mid-roof Transit with roof racks and wheelspin problems ?

Postby Big_Baz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:22 am

Hi folks,

Baz here, a new member based in New Zealand. My first post - please go easy on me :lol:

After many trouble-free years I'm retiring my '98 Nissan Vanette and am on the hunt for a circa 2010 (or newer) Transit. Specifically, the SWB mid-roof has great appeal to me. Two questions for any tradesmen / women out there using such a beast.

1. Mid-roof with roof racks ?

The mid-roof would be a great option for me (myriad shelving and storage options) but my day-to-day work building fences and decks means my roof rack is used several times a week. A 3 x rack system with a roller rack at the back was my clever plan. Anyone out here using such an arrangement (mid-roof with roof racks ) or would wobbling on a stepladder or a door-ladder each time I use my roof racks be more hassle than its worth ?

2. Wheelspin ?

My city ( Wellington) is a hilly wonderland. My rear-wheel-drive Nissan Vanette gets me in trouble constantly, wheels spinning whenever I try to back up hill with just a light load in the back. I'm hoping the circa 2010 SWB Transits are better behaved and I'd welcome some feedback on that .

Many thanks in advance. Baz
Big_Baz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Talk