*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Calling PSV Operators markings question

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Calling PSV Operators markings question

Postby SSC! » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:21 pm

Hey folks,

In the final stages of getting everything finished for my new business venture and I have a silly question which I am sure I have it right but wanted to ask the gurus.

I am getting my details put on the side door of the van at the bottom. It has the owner, address and ULW. Am I reading this right that the ULW is the Gross Payload in the transit specs i.e 1569?? Reason I ask is while down at the signwriters he went out to check an identical van to mine 17 seat Trend and it was showing 3031. Granted he told me he didn't put that weight on the van as it came to him that way. I'm sure its 1569 but now doubting myself. Anyone care to correct me??

Cheers

Avril.
Don't follow me, I'm crazy........ and lost!!!
SSC!
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Calling PSV Operators markings question

Postby dumper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:54 pm

All big bus’s have there gross vehicle weight on them if your bus is a mk8 17 seater the gross weight is 4600 kgs I’ve just turned a mk8 17 seater to a campervan all the ones I look at did not have the weight on them it was only on the vin plate I’d ring the DVSA to get the right answer
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:26 pm

The only way to find out the un laden weight is to go on a weigh bridge and find out what it weighs

The figure you have quoted is far too low
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:36 pm

About 3000kg for a mk8 17 seat bus sounds right tbh...
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby SSC! » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Thanks folks. Looking at the weights the ford supply it shows the unladen weight as low which it probably the van alone and no seats. Very stupid and confusing if I'm honest. Got onto the local weigh bridge and it's just 3031.

I now have another issue which is making me tear my hair out.

Towing weights!!!!!

4600 is loaded obviously and it's stating 5350 as its GTM how in gods name is this figure right? then in the next field is shows max in braked trailer I can tow is 750 and braked is 2100kgs. So my fully loaded van means I can only tow 750kgs? Local firm near here is always running about in a box van so how can he transport passengers and luggage? Probably something I should have checked BEFORE buying my trailer which can take 3500kgs and is getting advertising on it next week :cry:

Makes no bloody difference having grandfather rights or a CE licence does it? Or is it just wishful thinking on my part. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
SSC!
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby (ROG) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:12 am

Box van could be a 3500 GVW 8 seater which may weigh about 2200 empty (guessing) so with people weighing 800 that leaves 500 for luggage
EX IAM car and commercial observer
(ROG)
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:13 am

rog wrote:Box van could be a 3500 GVW 8 seater which may weigh about 2200 empty (guessing) so with people weighing 800 that leaves 500 for luggage

I prefer (AKE)’s solution, seems much safer than “guessing “.
(AKE) wrote:The only way to find out the un laden weight is to go on a weigh bridge and find out what it weighs

The figure you have quoted is far too low
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby ake » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 am

SSC! wrote:Thanks folks. Looking at the weights the ford supply it shows the unladen weight as low which it probably the van alone and no seats. Very stupid and confusing if I'm honest. Got onto the local weigh bridge and it's just 3031.

Towing weights!!!!!

4600 is loaded obviously and it's stating 5350 as its GTM how in gods name is this figure right? then in the next field is shows max in braked trailer I can tow is 750 and braked is 2100kgs. So my fully loaded van means I can only tow 750kgs? Local firm near here is always running about in a box van so how can he transport passengers and luggage? Probably something I should have checked BEFORE buying my trailer which can take 3500kgs and is getting advertising on it next week :cry:

Makes no bloody difference having grandfather rights or a CE licence does it? Or is it just wishful thinking on my part. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Although the max vehicle weight has been increased to allow for people in every seat, the max train weight has not, its basically still based upon a 3500kg max vehicle weight.
SO if you want to tow a heavy trailer, you need light weight people in the seats!
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby SSC! » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:03 pm

ake wrote:
SSC! wrote:Thanks folks. Looking at the weights the ford supply it shows the unladen weight as low which it probably the van alone and no seats. Very stupid and confusing if I'm honest. Got onto the local weigh bridge and it's just 3031.

Towing weights!!!!!

Although the max vehicle weight has been increased to allow for people in every seat, the max train weight has not, its basically still based upon a 3500kg max vehicle weight.
SO if you want to tow a heavy trailer, you need light weight people in the seats!

Yeah I ended up tearing my hair out on this one. Found it incredible Ford created such a vehicle but no way of transporting luggage should the need arise. Trailer getting sold now. :roll:

Thanks for your help folks.
SSC!
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:32 pm

Sounds like the wrong vehicle was specced...

Mk8s available with train weights up to 7000kg
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Transit Talk