*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Another van break in - Loughborough, Leicestershire

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Another van break in - Loughborough, Leicestershire

Postby BabyDontYurtMe » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:19 am

Hi guys,

Just a heads up if anyone else is from Loughborough area, had a parasite open up my van last night - no visible damage and nothing stolen as its a camper in conversion. The back gate and rear door of the van were left ajar.
What I am interested in though is I thought the Tibbe keys only did the door?? Or do they do the whole central locking system? I am interested that there is no visible damage and the whole central locking was disabled. I leave the van without the starter motor relay currently so that they cant just OBDII and drive away.

Im torn between a hilariously loud alarm or getting some different locks put in - last time I had a van broken into, they smashed the front triangular panel of window and then just opened the van door from the inside. Would a set of Hykees or similar stop that from happening? Or am I better off with a fat alarm which scares the s**t into them and makes them do a runner?
Completed the Mongolia Charity Rally 2015 with a beautiful Mk6 LWB high roof Transit.
We loved it so much, we have just purchased a Mk7 LWB high roof Transit to do some staycationing!
BabyDontYurtMe
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Another van break in - Loughborough, Leicestershire

Postby squirrel93 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:38 am

I think it’s just your luck , any deterrent would make it harder for them , a few members have fitted extra locks on all doors tho as mentioned the hykee lock etc can still
Be picked with the tibbe key , I’m voicing my opinion but we spend thousands on tools but can’t be arses spending a few hundred on locks to keep them safe .. (excluding you have a camper )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squirrel93
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby axam102 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Worryingly more frequent around here too. also in the process in a camper van conversion and while my plastic plates wont end up on the antiques road show I dont want to fork out for repairs to doors etc. I just stuck two "dogs in transit" stickers on the rear doors so they can be aware they will only ever find dog hair and mud in the back.. which is actually all it contains.
axam102
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby BabyDontYurtMe » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:52 am

axam102 wrote:Worryingly more frequent around here too. also in the process in a camper van conversion and while my plastic plates wont end up on the antiques road show I dont want to fork out for repairs to doors etc. I just stuck two "dogs in transit" stickers on the rear doors so they can be aware they will only ever find dog hair and mud in the back.. which is actually all it contains.

Hah I was actually speaking to a lady at work yesterday and she mentioned that her other half has put a bunch of camper van owners club stickers all over their van. However I think not matter what we do it will eventually just come down to luck :(
Completed the Mongolia Charity Rally 2015 with a beautiful Mk6 LWB high roof Transit.
We loved it so much, we have just purchased a Mk7 LWB high roof Transit to do some staycationing!
BabyDontYurtMe
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Talk