*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

drag racing 1/4mile times

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Re: drag racing 1/4mile times

Postby ake » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:12 am

limitedblack wrote:Drat, looks like there are no road worthy Di's in the uk any more :(

Don't poke the cage when the beast is sleeping :lol: :lol:
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:38 am

I think i've missed the point of that comment LB?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby limitedblack » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:44 pm

Well it's two points really, and both sarcastic humour....

First your rules don't cover what fuel can be used (I've checked). Then I seem to remember some vans turning up on trailers ;)

Like I say, all in good humour.

I can actually work out how it can be done, and fairly easily, without alcohol in the diesel....
Happy Easter
limitedblack
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:53 pm

:lol:

I was anticipating diesel - given its a diesel engine but if you want to use something else feel free.

And I trailered the van for convenience... (nothing to do with the brakes failing the MOT that morning...) plus the "game" came in to force after that. If I want to win my money ( :? ) The van will have to drive through the gate
Last edited by MinorMatt on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andypdq » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:54 pm

But they're still faster than mk 6s and 7s :lol:
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby limitedblack » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:49 pm

They are very fast, I calculate them making about 180-200 bhp to do those times, although it's the torque that really counts more. Getting that power down is more the problem, and an automatic gearbox would work best. I do enjoy watching the DI motors, they have more spirit in them.

Looking forward to next year already.
Happy Easter
limitedblack
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:59 pm

limitedblack wrote:They are very fast, I calculate them making about 180-200 bhp to do those times, although it's the torque that really counts more. Getting that power down is more the problem, and an automatic gearbox would work best. I do enjoy watching the DI motors, they have more spirit in them.

:lol: with all the smoke (yes we know its too much for the road) I think mine was 120-125hp. Tims obviously weighs a lot more and I personally think he has 150-160...

And yes an autobox would get you off the line quicker, but whether it would beat a manual with a good start? No idea...

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andypdq » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:32 pm

MinorMatt wrote:
limitedblack wrote:They are very fast, I calculate them making about 180-200 bhp to do those times, although it's the torque that really counts more. Getting that power down is more the problem, and an automatic gearbox would work best. I do enjoy watching the DI motors, they have more spirit in them.

:lol: with all the smoke (yes we know its too much for the road) I think mine was 120-125hp. Tims obviously weighs a lot more and I personally think he has 150-160...

And yes an autobox would get you off the line quicker, but whether it would beat a manual with a good start? No idea...

Funny thing is with the mtdi Mk 6s, they have big bottom end grunt, but no top end, they run out of revs compared to the Di, we think its down to restrictive injectors, and we have found some with bigger holes and more of them. :P You will remember Matt, when we were against eachother on the last run at Weald, I had you off the line, but then you cruised past me after about half way. The duratorq should trounce the Di if you look at valve area, but they don't, restrictive injectors due to emissions regs we think, time will tell. :D

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:24 pm

Don't remeber that...

Mine currently run out of revs at 3200 RPM (even in neutral) and looses most of its grunt by about 2500...

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andypdq » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:51 pm

MinorMatt wrote:Don't remeber that...

Mine currently run out of revs at 3200 RPM (even in neutral) and looses most of its grunt by about 2500...

Whatever, but even so the Duratorq should do much better than the Di, why doesn't it with virtually the same mechanical pump and bigger valve "area"? I think it's restrictive injectors, at least that seems the most likely problem, no black smoke whatsoever at the top end :?

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andypdq » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:32 pm

To add a bit more, I know the pump on the duatorq had a bigger theoretical pumping capacty than your standard Di Transit pump,it's actually the same as Tim's, Ive done the maths, the duratorq has a bigger cross sectional area for inlet and exhaust valves, it should do way better than the Di, but it doesn't, I've come to the conclusion it must be the shitty restrictive standard TDDI injectors. :? :? :roll:

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:35 pm

Yes as you say, in theory there should be more to be had from a 2.4 duratorq than a 2.5Di (I would think a 2.0 might be a bit closer)

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby limitedblack » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:08 pm

Diesels have the problem of no flame front advance at higher revs, as in the reason petrol engines can rev so high is that you can advance the ignition to well before top dead centre. Where as diesels rely on compression ignition, hence the limit. The TDCI has the advantage of high speed pulses of fuel up to 7 per stroke, giving higher revs, and more noticeably quieter running especially when cold.

On another subject, this "valid mot" part of the rules, does that include the "adjustments" to fueling?? If you are not allowing Tim's mods then surely the engine must be running on the same settings that would pass mot specs???
Happy Easter
limitedblack
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:25 am

I said standard injection pumps, but could be tweaked... (i.e. none of the parts on the pump have been swapped for something else).

An mot is only valid at the instant of test, who knows what could be a failure point at the time of racing...

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andypdq » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:37 am

MinorMatt wrote:I said standard injection pumps, but could be tweaked... (i.e. none of the parts on the pump have been swapped for something else).

An mot is only valid at the instant of test, who knows what could be a failure point at the time of racing...

I could build a pump from standard parts which would have the edge on a factory pump, just by adjusting clearances etc, you'd never be able to tell the difference from part numbers, unless you measured everything and knew what you were looking for, even then it's a manufacturing tolerance issue, strictly it would be unfair to those using a random off the shelf pump. I don't think the mot or driving it to the event is particularly relevant. What about addition of parts to standard, ie governor shims etc does that fall within your definition of tweaking?

Caution, large pedantic minefield ahead. :shock: :lol:

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Talk