*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My ambulance conversion

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

My ambulance conversion

Postby ceurieusneus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:16 am

In 2016 I converted a 4 berth ambulance in a 2 berth camper. 8)
I post the interior pictures, maybe some of my idees are useful to someone else

We did not want a bathroom, takes to much space...
What we wanted: no gas on board, sleeping in separate beds, cooking electric, easy acces from the driving compartment, a PP easy accesible at night, lots of stowage room, easy acces to the space under the beds, some safety at night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: My ambulance concersion

Postby ceurieusneus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:26 am

The door between drivers and leisure compartment, also locks the kitchen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:44 am

The kitchen part
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:09 pm

Easy to acces cup boards.... everything to please the missus :wink:
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Easy acces slides under the beds
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:33 pm

The waltzing table :D
Just where we want it to stand
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:48 pm

Forgot to tell...
There must be the possibility to fry...Flemish (not French!) fries without hook up ! 8)

The trailer with toilet and shower, also for the transport of the 125cc is the project for 2017! :)

Technical
leisure batteries 435AH, battery loader 40/80A, Converter 230Volt 1500 Watt.
12 volt fridge 230 volt deep fryer, kettel, induction plate and micro wave
Self supporting for 2 days (summer) without driving. :) without ruining the battery's.
Eberspacher diesel 4KW heating system
More to come!
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby BigMonty » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:49 pm

Like it 8)
"You'll never beat a fool with logic or facts but you can demolish anyone with sincerly spoken nonsense"
BigMonty
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby axxez » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:50 am

Wow, that's very well thought and done! How do the lights look like and do you charge the batteries by solar-power?
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:20 pm

We kept the interior white, as it should carry more to the resemblance as a ambulance. 8)
I re used metal from the stretchers for the frames of the bed and cup boards. :)
I re used the original lights (4) just refitted with LED bulbs. :) Two extra tube lights scarcely used as to greedy on electricity...( lights + convertor ).

I was for a while tempted to put solar panels on the trailer... On top of the ambulance there is the problem of the carport. :mrgreen:
Changed my (solar) mind as to expensive for the gain in power. Daily consumption 24 hours totaling around 100KW. (summer)
Now I charge the leisure battery's with the alternator...ca 2.5 hours driving...to restore daily consumption. 8)
When hooked up use of battery charger. In the future 2.5KW generator in the trailer.
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:52 am

What kind of alternator are you using? Stock 70A??
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:50 am

In replacing the alternator I was limited in choice by the vacuum pomp (brakes) :(
The biggest I could find that fits was 95A I bought it (after marked) for less than 110 €.
For what its worth, to my knowledge... :?
The battery bank (leisure) is so greedy, (Amps loading) that as safety matter for the alternator, I unload the battery's not below 50%.
My 50% rule keeps the load current acceptable and increases the lifespan of the battery bank... €€€... ££££...$$$$ 8)
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:01 am

I went for a cheap 95A alternator as well, but that one broke and I replaced it with an expensive Bosch one not to have problems anymore. Breaks are important and I would not like problems caused by the vacuum-pump of that cheap devices..
How did you switch those batteries? A "Bank" with 435Ah sounds to me like 4x batteries put directly in a row. If they are all the same size, age and brand this might be ok. And how is that connected to the alternator? Seperated from the car-battery? Or just in a row with the car battery, maybe cutted by the ignition-switch. That might destroy the batteries btw in a long term.. Would mean you connect a 435Ah "batterie" with a lets say 70-100Ah battery of different age together. Not good!
Last edited by axxez on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:13 am

Actually I do have a manual switch to load the alternator and my second battery as well, in case I am not using the solar power. I try to use it not very often to prevent those problems with the batteries. On my old Transit a few times I bought 2 new batteries that got destroyed after some time because of this problem..
A battery-isolator like this would be the perfect device, if you want a pro solution:
http://www.lima-shop.de/site/media/cont ... /2-240.pdf
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:05 pm

axxez wrote:I went for a cheap 95A alternator as well, but that one broke and I replaced it with an expensive Bosch one not to have problems anymore. Breaks are important and I would not like problems caused by the vacuum-pump of that cheap devices..
How did you switch those batteries? A "Bank" with 435Ah sounds to me like 4x batteries put directly in a row. If they are all the same size, age and brand this might be ok. And how is that connected to the alternator? Seperated from the car-battery? Or just in a row with the car battery, maybe cutted by the ignition-switch. That might destroy the batteries btw in a long term.. Would mean you connect a 435Ah "batterie" with a lets say 70-100Ah battery of different age together. Not good!

Well, lets hope for the best, I carry the old 70A alternator with me...just in case...
If it breaks down, I will have to go for the "real" thing :mrgreen:
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!