*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Thinking about a crew van - looking for advice

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Thinking about a crew van - looking for advice

Postby pyromancer » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:22 pm

I bought my first Transit, a 94 SWB 2.5 diesel, for 800 quid last May, and I've been delighted with it - so planning to upgrade in the new year.

I often end up carrying assorted mates, including bands with equipment, about the place, I'm do some DJing and sometimes take self plus gear to venues and back, I also do photography, the models need somewhere to change, so having the back divided into "living" and "working" areas seems like a good plan.

Been looking at various crew cab vans on Autotrader. Seen a very nice ex-police one with 4 back seats, bulkhead behind, and I know police vehicles are usually very well maintained/serviced, etc. But reading the posts on here about the uprated loading issue - is this normally a problem with ex-police vans? I'm well over 21, and my licence (issued 88 ) covers vans and minibuses (with or without trailers).

Also, I guess the police fit a lot of extra in-cab gear, radios, computers and the like, how much of a mess do they tend to make of the dash, or is it easy enough to tidy up afterwards?

Is there a major fuel consumption difference between standard, semi-high and high-top vans?

From experience, are LWB much harder to park than SWB? I'm not just thinking of actual manouvering, but finding big enough spaces in towns, etc.

Looking to spend between 1k and 3k (the police one on Autotrader is 1.6k). Definetly want power steering - the current van doesn't have it and low-speed manouvering is the only issue I have with it, esp as I tend to park in tight spaces. When did power steering become standard on Transits, or is it always optional?

Electric windows would be nice (have used a Luton belonging to the work with them, though a 2.5 petrol - £ouch! for fuel) - when did they start to appear, and are they only on certain models / ages?

Eeep - bit of an epic, and I know I've forgotten stuff I planned to ask about. All comments / replies welcome!

Cheers!
pyromancer
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby AndyG » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:26 am

Question,s questions :!: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you're parking in tight spaces now then this answers your question on lwb :!:
Power steering was more or less standard from '97 P reg onwards :D However there was always some limited edition stripped down economy models available for the tight fleet operator :o :lol:

Your driving habits will affect your fuel consumption more than the size of the van.
Obviously if you want to travel very fast in a high top it will be affected badly by the aerodynamics. General driving around shouldn't be too different :D

Leccy windows were always an option or part of an option pack :D

For eg; you might have the 'Electric' pack, which can give you windows, mirrors, windscreen and central locking :o :D

I think that's about it :!: :?: :lol: :wink:

Ooh :!: EPIC :!: Some have known to be troublsome on this forum, to the point that they are best avoided :roll:
I've had no problem with mine and I guess that if it's an ex police van then if it needed anything, it got a new one :!: :wink:

A guide/rough check, would be to try and hold the revs steady at about 2500 to 3000rpm and check it doesn't 'hunt' and puff black smoke from the exhaust.

Personally, I think it down to the person that reads the fault codes :!: Some so called garages couldn't read their own name :shock: :lol:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby pyromancer » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:01 pm

Thanks for the detailed answer! So what I'm looking for is a P of later, preferably with electric pack, and beware of EPIC engine management.

Cheers!
pyromancer
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby madmark » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:22 pm

go for ex police they are about as best as you will find! :wink:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Buyers Guide