*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Be careful!

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Be careful!

Postby Loafman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Hi all, I recently joined this forum as I am intending on buying a Transit (Mk6 or 7) to turn into a bespoke camper/work van. I've been swatting up about Mk6/7's, and have narrowed my search down to a FWD (2.0 or 2.2 diesel), SWB or MWB and a medium roof. I notice there are a few ex-police ones about, and figured they have probably been serviced properly etc. so would be a good bet.
Well, the other day I decided to go and have a look at one, a 2009 58 plate with 106,000 miles. I saw it on ebay for £4250 + VAT (a little more than I'm looking to spend really, but thought I'd check it out anyway). Here is a linkhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110975201670; ... 26_rdc%3D1

So after phoning them and checking it was ok to go and view it, I drove the 55 miles to go and see it. I arrived at the destination... a place called Guest Manor. The first thing I noticed was it was basically a field in the countryside with literally hundreds of cars and vans parked all over the place. I went into the office and asked to see the van... but they had no clue where it was, so told me to go and find it myself! Not a good start!

Anyway, I wondered off in search of the van, which I found after a few minutes... my god what a wreck! The first thing I saw (which was intentionally left out of the description), was a major dent/scrape down the nearside, starting on the side door and running back to the rear wheel arch! I consider this to be significant damage, and to not mention it in the description (and clearly not putting any photo's of that part) instantly set alarm bells ringing. I walked round the back and tried the back doors, and they were unlocked. Inside it was full of rubbish.... old cardboard, an old television and stand and god knows what else. The nearside headlight was full of water (and algae), and it had what appeared to be some cracks in the roof just above the nearside windscreen pillar (the one pic of the nearside of the van has the passenger door and sliding door open, thus making the rusty cracks on the roof and the dent in the side not visible, very sly!). I glanced inside and the passenger side was full of rusty water, all under the seat. By this point I was about to leave, and was p!ssed off that I had driven 55 miles to look at such a piece of crud. Just as I was leaving, up popped the smarmy salesman... all 5' 5" of him... oh, and he had a wonky tache! He said, "Did you find it?", to which I replied, "Yes, unfortunately". "Is there something wrong?" he asked, so I started reeling off the list of obvious issues. When I mentioned the water in the passenger footwell, he laughed and said, "Were there any ducks in there?".... it took all my control not to lamp the cocky little b*stard! :evil:
I explained that I had driven a 110 mile round trip to look at the van, only to find it was a heavily overpriced wreck, to which he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "It's not that bad". I walked away with him following and trying to convince me that it was a good van!

Anyway, I just thought I would vent my anger on here, and warn any others not to waste their time looking at this van. My search will continue! 8)
2004 MWB M/R 2.0 TDCI 125 camper conversion... work in progress http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=128548
Loafman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Be careful!

Postby Punto443 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:53 pm

Yeah, there's a good few jokers out there! :lol: Gumtree's full of them too! I hate travelling to look at a minter that really a piece of sh*t. Keep an eye out in the auction adds sections for some of frequent flyers.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Return to Buyers Guide