*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Double Cab, Personal Use

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Double Cab, Personal Use

Postby TunnelShunt » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a double cab-in-van Mk7 to use as a private, non-commercial vehicle. I was wondering if you Transit experts could help work out the best specs for my needs? I'm wanting a double cab due to the 5/6 seats you get, but also the luggage space in the rear. I appreciate that this is just a load of bullet points, but your expertise and experience is very much appreciated!! My points are as follows:-

- Wheelbase? Myself and the missus make regular trips over to France and around the UK with our bicycles, and ideally taking into account the double cab, would want a remaining load space long enough to hold a bicycle. From rough research, a SWB is possibly not able to do this, but a MWB might just about?

FWD or RWD? As the van wouldn't be used for heavy building materials and suchlike --- just the bikes, luggage, general family car clutter, and general other bits and bobs, perhaps the odd very occasional furniture move and general favours people ask when you have a van --- I'm thinking FWD would be more suitable, but would love to hear what you guys think.

Engine Output? What would you folks recommend for the most economical returns for my needs?

Gross Vehicle Mass? Thinking the lowest available matching the above specs should be more than capable of handling the needs of a non-commercial user who uses the van for ferrying people & a couple of push bikes/suitcases around?

Your help in advance is very much appreciated!
TunnelShunt

Re: Double Cab, Personal Use

Postby ake » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:33 pm

The front wheel drives have a lower rear floor, so more internal space. I have a 125 ps Euro 5 front wheel drive and it has plenty of power and returns good fuel economy. The main reason to choose a RWD would be if you planned to tow. A medium wheel base would probably be the best bet for you.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby oldyellar » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:05 am

somthing like thishttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/57-Ford-Trans ... 416f3fe36a would be better with a sixspeeder thou :wink:
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby TunnelShunt » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:58 am

Hi Oldyeller,

Please excuse my ignorance, but could you tell me how the van in that link differs from a standard Double Cab, I'm a bit of a noob. Is it simply to do with the rear door windows, the cargo area lining and the gadgets? Or is there more to it than that.

Much appreciated!
TunnelShunt

Postby pepper » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:54 pm

As far as I can see it looks like a standard double cab van, it does have lots of goodies on it though.
pepper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:05 pm

That's a standard factory double cab, just in GLX spec so it has toys and alloy wheels
ake
Site Moderator

Postby TunnelShunt » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi Ake,

Out of interest, is the 'GLX' a discontinued trim level? I can only find reference to 'Transit', 'Trend' and 'Limited' specs on newer vans. I wouldn't be able to afford a new van, however just trying to compare what the GLX would be equivalent to now?
TunnelShunt

Postby blue estate » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:34 pm

TunnelShunt wrote:Hi Ake,

Out of interest, is the 'GLX' a discontinued trim level? I can only find reference to 'Transit', 'Trend' and 'Limited' specs on newer vans. I wouldn't be able to afford a new van, however just trying to compare what the GLX would be equivalent to now?

Limited is the new glx
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby bigjohnthomas » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:41 pm

The difference between a GLX an an LX is sometimes that one has a G before the LX
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby oldyellar » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:47 pm

as the guys say its just a standard factory crew van some have seen are mess/welfare vans as there called they aint as nice
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit- ... 4abca0a3e6

that van is a glx so will be well spec'd up it also has rear windows on the back door witch i think looks good 8) its also a T300 so you can carry a bit more weight :wink:
if you could afford a new van you would get a real good deal at the moment because of the new transit custom being launched in november

this in a new limited swb 8) its a nice spec and 6speed you could probs gett one the same cheeper
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit- ... 46057ed4ea
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby TunnelShunt » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:08 pm

I would really like a new van, preferably to Limited spec. Is the price of that one likely to be more typical/achievable closer to the Custom's launch? When would you think the best time to approach a dealer would be?
TunnelShunt

Postby blue estate » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:25 pm

early feb as the reg change is at the end of feb
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby ake » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:27 pm

TunnelShunt wrote:I would really like a new van, preferably to Limited spec. Is the price of that one likely to be more typical/achievable closer to the Custom's launch? When would you think the best time to approach a dealer would be?

Now! They have loads of stock they need to shift before they fill up with Customs and MK8 which is due soon as well.
ake
Site Moderator

Postby oldyellar » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:11 pm

yeah defo now and if you are not vat reg may will only have to put a 10% deposit down instead of a vat deposit the vans are dearer on ebay and i think your still getting 5years warrenty on the euro 5 mk7 now :?: someone may be able to confirm this thou :)
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ake » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:37 pm

oldyellar wrote:yeah defo now and if you are not vat reg may will only have to put a 10% deposit down instead of a vat deposit the vans are dearer on ebay and i think your still getting 5years warrenty on the euro 5 mk7 now :?: someone may be able to confirm this thou :)

Yeah, some new MK7 have 5 year warranty :)

Give transitsales on here a shout, he has done me several good deals on new vans, most of my fleet came from him :)
ake
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Buyers Guide