*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Double Cab, Personal Use

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Double Cab, Personal Use

Postby TunnelShunt » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks for all your assistance, chaps! Seriously looking into the possibility of purchasing a new Mk7 if I can get a decent deal. Just a couple of follow-up questions though..

- Having looked around, I've found some as-standard crew cabs have 3 seats up front and others just have the 2. Does anyone know if certain specs give different seats up front, or what? I can't seem to find any obvious pattern.

- I have found older crew cab Mk7s in medium wheelbase with low roofs. However, I can't seem to find any mention of low-roof MWBs anywhere for new models, just MWB with medium-height (or higher) roofs. Would you recommend a low height roof bearing in the mind the rear will just be used primarily for bikes and personal holiday gear, or would a medium height roof be recommended for extra height in the cabin?

Sorry for all the questions folks, but your help and expertise is greatly appreciated, and hopefully in the not too distant future I'll be back showing photos of my new toy.... ;)

Cheers,
TunnelShunt

Postby TunnelShunt » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Ok, I've answered my last question if that you can get a low-roof MWB double-cab-in-van as pictured in the brochure. However, still welcome advice on whether a low-roof would be perfectly adequate for personal family-car esque needs, or if a medium roof would give much better comfort. I'm
6ft 1 in that makes any difference.
TunnelShunt

Postby duvet » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:03 pm

dunno if you found this out but the MWB have longer knee room for the back seat of passengers than the LWB or SWB too
ex-network rail 2007 mk7 100 LWB 350 8 seat.

buses stop at bus stations, trains stop at train stations....... on my desk i've got a workstation
duvet
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby TunnelShunt » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:27 pm

I didn't know that, Duvet, no - an odd but interesting fact! Any reason for that do you know?
TunnelShunt

Postby duvet » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:35 pm

TunnelShunt wrote:I didn't know that, Duvet, no - an odd but interesting fact! Any reason for that do you know?

cos my wife wouldn't buy a SWB as there wasn't enough room and we couldn't find a MWB we could afford so bought a mess van instead

and i looked in the brochure
ex-network rail 2007 mk7 100 LWB 350 8 seat.

buses stop at bus stations, trains stop at train stations....... on my desk i've got a workstation
duvet
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Roof height makes no difference to head room, the cab roof is the same height in either!!

Front seat layout depends on original order spec, but more often Limited will have 2, and Trend will have 3, but vice versa is also available.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby ake » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:14 pm

ake wrote:Roof height makes no difference to head room, the cab roof is the same height in either!!
And a low roof will fit into car parks etc, that a med roof will not.
Front seat layout depends on original order spec, but more often Limited will have 2, and Trend will have 3, but vice versa is also available.
ake
Site Moderator

Postby oldyellar » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:32 pm

you would probly have to pay more for a mwb low roof because they come as standard with twin side loading doors there not likely to be sitting on a lot and have too order it i would look for a demo mwb semi high roof :)
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby TunnelShunt » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:59 pm

Thank you for all your advice so far guys, really can't say how much I appreciate it! Sorry for being such a noob with all this... For my personal uses then (to replace the family car with typical loads being 2-4 people with just push bikes, suitcases/shopping and perhaps the odd bit of camping equipment in the back), how does this sort of spec look as a rough base to work from?

- Medium wheelbase
- Low roof (tho may stretch to a medium height, but not overly keen)
- Front wheel drive
- 125ps output
- 6 speed gearbox
- 280 gross vehicle mass
- 'Trend' or 'Limited' spec

And as always with me, a question..... bearing in mind journies for me would be about 50-50 local or dual-carriageway/motorway driving, with about 4-6 weeks a year spent driving across Europe on holidays to the likes of Southern France, Spain, Germany and suchlike involing a fair whack of crunching away long-distance motorway miles, what sort of axle ratio should I be looking for?
TunnelShunt

Postby ake » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:43 am

The standard axle ratio which is speced with that engine is perfect.

Your spec looks good :)

Now give transitsales a shout for a price
ake
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Buyers Guide