*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

I've had enough!

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

I've had enough!

Postby Loafman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:49 pm

Well, it seems all the Transits that are suitable for my needs and budget are miles and miles away. I've now been to look at 3 of them, the first one was a wreck, the second one wasn't much better, and this morning I drove all the way to Wokingham to look at one that seemed to fit the bill (I specifically want FWD and a medium roof, SWB or MWB). I went to set off this morning and the battery in my LDV decided it was too cold and it wasn't gonna fire out enough oomph to turn the engine over.... So I borrowed a friends car, arranged a days insurance and stuck a load of petrol in it.... a fair few ££££'s. I also took a half day off work, more £££'s.
This is the van I went to see:- http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/used-vans/ford/transit/2005-ford-transit-t280-85-psi-tdi-wokingham-vfpa-8aba7dc63c2353f5013c3b1364c37c8d
Not sure how long the link will work, but it shows a medium roof transit that looks like it fits the bill.

So I drove many miles to have a look, and when I got there what did I see? It's not the van in the picture! F**KING BO**OCKS! It was a low roof.... looked like an ok van visually, but totally useless to me. The guy claimed that autotrader had put the wrong picture on the ad... I spoke to autotrader and they could not elaborate on how it had happened as I am not the advertiser, but they confirmed that it was not their mistake.
The seller told me he had sold the one in the picture last week, but the description was of the low roof one?!?... maybe just my suspicious mind, but I think he put the ad in for 2 weeks, sold the medium roof one in the first week, then, to save some money, changed the text to reflect the low roof one but couldn't change the picture.
The thing that pissed me off the most was that he was more concerned that he wasn't able to make a sale, rather than the fact he was responsible for costing me somewhere between £100-200.
As the title suggests, I'm giving up on the search for one, there are just too many scammers, rip off merchants and liars out there. It's for the best, 'cos if I meet another one I am going to turn proper Mike Tyson on them! And I don't really fancy an assault charge hanging over me.
2004 MWB M/R 2.0 TDCI 125 camper conversion... work in progress http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=128548
Loafman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: I've had enough!

Postby Altransit » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:58 pm

I know just how you feel :(

I was lucky enough to buy my Mk6 from a forum member, and it was exactly as described (looks pretty much like the one in the ad)
But I have to say, you would have been extremely lucky to find a 54 plate in that condition, and at that mileage, for £1695. It would probably fetch £500-£800 more than that, realistically.

Keep trying, they are out there, but it can be frustrating, I know :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby priesty » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:10 pm

something will pop up from out of the blue all the ones i looked at were crap to look at but looked good in the pics :roll: or the traders asking twice the price for them took about a month for one to come along tidy and not overpriced good luck :)
priesty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby fedup2 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Loafman wrote:Well, it seems all the Transits that are suitable for my needs and budget are miles and miles away. I've now been to look at 3 of them, the first one was a wreck, the second one wasn't much better, and this morning I drove all the way to Wokingham to look at one that seemed to fit the bill (I specifically want FWD and a medium roof, SWB or MWB). I went to set off this morning and the battery in my LDV decided it was too cold and it wasn't gonna fire out enough oomph to turn the engine over.... So I borrowed a friends car, arranged a days insurance and stuck a load of petrol in it.... a fair few ££££'s. I also took a half day off work, more £££'s.
This is the van I went to see:- http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/used-vans/ford/transit/2005-ford-transit-t280-85-psi-tdi-wokingham-vfpa-8aba7dc63c2353f5013c3b1364c37c8d
Not sure how long the link will work, but it shows a medium roof transit that looks like it fits the bill.

So I drove many miles to have a look, and when I got there what did I see? It's not the van in the picture! F**KING BO**OCKS! It was a low roof.... looked like an ok van visually, but totally useless to me. The guy claimed that autotrader had put the wrong picture on the ad... I spoke to autotrader and they could not elaborate on how it had happened as I am not the advertiser, but they confirmed that it was not their mistake.
The seller told me he had sold the one in the picture last week, but the description was of the low roof one?!?... maybe just my suspicious mind, but I think he put the ad in for 2 weeks, sold the medium roof one in the first week, then, to save some money, changed the text to reflect the low roof one but couldn't change the picture.
The thing that pissed me off the most was that he was more concerned that he wasn't able to make a sale, rather than the fact he was responsible for costing me somewhere between £100-200.
As the title suggests, I'm giving up on the search for one, there are just too many scammers, rip off merchants and liars out there. It's for the best, 'cos if I meet another one I am going to turn proper Mike Tyson on them! And I don't really fancy an assault charge hanging over me.

i could write a book on buying vans.Van sellers are ALL full of crap and getting a good one is near impossible.If i had a quid for the times i heard its a van mate what do you expect?

Heres some examples

One in aberdeen in 450 miles away
wanted 10,000 did deal.I sorted a flight to aberdeen.He said he would get his wife to pick me up from the airport just tex when i land and she will be just round the corner.
Got their didnt tex rang instead,phone was off.fortunatly i had home number,she answered.thought u were collecting me?Er we dont know who you are could be a mad axeman! Couldnt you have said that before i flew here?Then it changed to we need ot get the bank notes checked at the bank in the morning.It was 7pm .4 hours later i was picked up with a 450mile drive home to do.

Another preston.Whats van like,mint,anything on bodywork,and accident damage,nope like new.Get there 110 miles to find it sat in the street stuffed down one side with plastics held on with rusty screws.
Rang him couldnt go to the door i was fuming.He said ah yeh someones just been out for a test drive in it and damaged it.

So i thought ill go to the trade,rang a van an hour and a half away.£10,000 worth not very old.I speak to the sales woman and tell her about the nightmare i was having and no matter how much bullshit i got if it wasnt right i wouldnt buy so bullshit is pointless and a waste of my time and fuel.
I asked her if she would do a walk round while im on the phone.Yeh no probs the result was a 1 inch scratch on a panel but hadnt gone through the paint.That it? yes!
So off i went and the near side front corners stuffed in.So i said how come you didnt mention that!Its the bumper she said.What do you mean?she said you should expect that,why should i?Cos bumpers are for bumping.And her face was straight.

Theres plenty more but i dont envy people trying to find a GOOD van.They ALL look bang on on the cleverly sorted pictures,well apart from mk5's :)

There is no way whatsoever to make sure your not on a wasted venture.Ive tried them all including begging.
Launch x431 owner ;)
fedup2
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby AndyG » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:46 am

:idea: Have you not tried asking the forum's sponsors :?:

I've also wasted a lot of time money looking for vans before now :twisted: But to compensate, I strongly recommend;

http://www.pro-van.co.uk/ :!:

My van was exactly as described (specification and condition) and a deal was more or less finalised over the phone, including a discount and even though I may have paid a little more and travelled a little further than I would have liked, I got exactly what I wanted/needed and have been nothing but very pleased with my purchase :D
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby duvet » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:51 am

not just vans and cars

its the same with buying anything second hand that is going to cost a noticeable amount and need to be reliable and undamaged.
ex-network rail 2007 mk7 100 LWB 350 8 seat.

buses stop at bus stations, trains stop at train stations....... on my desk i've got a workstation
duvet
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cleeguy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:56 am

I was :cry: driven to despair looking for a transit. Iwass looking since last MAY, to say it did my napper in is an understatement. Anyway, i DID find a near minter,tho it was a connect,High roof lwb,babied from new,sooooo pleased to have found it.Always a butt,it wasnt quite big enough for me so my search carried on,THEN low and behold, my friend who ownes a garage,who also happened to mot and service this vehicle was informed by his farmer friend, that his new transit was just about to be delivered, does he no anyone who wants a very nice low mls mk6?....full service history,only used for delivering the odd seed sample,no rust ect motor sweet as a nut, cab unmarked & never been smoked in :D ,what a bargain,£1800.54,plate94k....i must say it drives spot on too. So keep looking and dont give up. :)
Dont open it up untill you have to,........
cleeguy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Loafman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Cheers for the responses guys. I will keep my eyes open, but I wont be wasting my time and money travelling any distance to look at one again. If something local comes up then I'll have a look, but there is nothing much round my area that isn't stupidly over priced. My budget is £2750 for a good late MK6 or £3750 for a tidy early MK7 (I realise it will have a few miles under its belt and wont be perfect for that price).
My LDV is back running now the battery is sorted, so I'll just wait for one to literally fall in my lap. :mrgreen:
2004 MWB M/R 2.0 TDCI 125 camper conversion... work in progress http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=128548
Loafman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cleeguy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:51 pm

:wink: Were are you located Loafy,( :D )..ill keep an eye for a good one for you too....A mate of mine who has a mk7,(mint) now tells me he will now be buying a new van this year!...Its got the extra heated mirrors and a few bits which mine hasnt, i might be grabbing that when his new one comes, so mine might be up for sale as i dont require two, :idea: .....
Dont open it up untill you have to,........
cleeguy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Loafman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:50 am

cleeguy wrote::wink: Were are you located Loafy,( :D )..ill keep an eye for a good one for you too....A mate of mine who has a mk7,(mint) now tells me he will now be buying a new van this year!...Its got the extra heated mirrors and a few bits which mine hasnt, i might be grabbing that when his new one comes, so mine might be up for sale as i dont require two, :idea: .....

Hi, I'm in mid Bedfordshire, so a fair distance from you. What body style is your Transit? Ideally I'm looking for a medium wheel base (although short wheel base may suffice) and a medium roof, it also has to be front wheel drive. I've added my location to my info as it may be useful...
Loafman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Loafman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Ok guys, I hope I've done the right thing here! I just won an Ebay auction for a 2004 medium roof/medium wheel base 2.0 TDCi 125. It's done 70,000 miles and is in very good condition (so the description says!). I bid £1925, so as long as it is all as described then I will be very happy indeed... :D

I know the 2.0 TDCi engines can be problematic if they are not maintained properly, but I will ensure that it is well maintained. It apparently had new injectors 5000 miles ago, so hopefully that's a potentially expensive issue that I shouldn't have to face. I figure if it is not as described then I've got nothing to lose really as it will end in a no sale.

As I say, it's been described as "very good condition", with the main issues being the ply lining could do with being re-done, the sliding door only opens from the inside and "there is a tiny bit of rust here and there but nothing to worry about". It's MOT'ed until September and the tax is due in a couple of days.

I'm gonna try and convince the missus to drive me to get it on Saturday, just gotta work out the best way to get it taxed for the drive back (I'll contact the seller and arrange it with him).

Hopefully I'm not pissing in the wind yet again.
Loafman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beegly » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:43 pm

8) it should go like a train, hope it`s "as described"
Mondeo 130 TDCI - personal use
30t mobile crane - for work
2004 T280 125 TDCI, 183,000 miles. sold
'96 Citroën ax, 58ps. saved me over £1500 in diesel. SOLD, replaced with
2001 Citroen saxo 1.5 d
Beegly
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Loafman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Just had a look at the MOT history and wonder what people think? I'm going to collect it in the morning, so any advice will be gratefully received! The history is as follows:-

Your MOT history

You asked for test history information for vehicle registration FV04XTS. You provided Registration Certificate document reference number 10398436054 to confirm that you had a legitimate interest in the vehicle. If you do not have a legitimate interest in the vehicle you must destroy the document. This information is correct at 01/02/2013.

There are no later tests for this Vehicle.

Most Recent Vehicle Details and Test Summary applicable to this Registration Certificate document reference number.

Registration mark:
FV04XTS

Make/Model:
FORD / TRANSIT

Colour:
WHITE

VIN/Chassis No:
WF0VXXBDFV4K71026

Approximate date of first use:
31/08/2004

Type of fuel:
Diesel

Date of test:
14/08/2012

Certificate issued (Pass)

Odometer reading:
65,219 Miles

Test number:

Test expiry date:
13/08/2013

Full Test History, starting with first recorded vehicle and test results

Registration mark:
FV04XTS

Make/Model:
FORD / TRANSIT

Colour:
WHITE

VIN/Chassis No:
WF0VXXBDFV4K71026

Approximate date of first use:
31/08/2004

Type of fuel:
Diesel

Date of test:
18/10/2007

Certificate issue refused (Fail)

Odometer reading:
41,091 Miles

Test number:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223401497224

Test station name:
NORTHBROOK GARAGE LIMITED

Test station number:

Test station telephone number:

Test class:
IV

Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Nearside Front Obligatory mirror seriously deteriorated, affecting the rear view (8.1.2a)

Offside Front Obligatory mirror seriously deteriorated, affecting the rear view (8.1.2a)

Rear Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.5c)

Nearside Rear Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)

Rear Body has a sharp edge caused by damage (6.1.C.1)

No Advisory Notice issued

Date of test:
18/10/2007

Odometer reading:
41,091 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:
NORTHBROOK GARAGE LIMITED

Test station number:

Test class:
IV

Test expiry date:
17/10/2008

Date of test:
28/11/2009

Certificate issue refused (Abandoned)

Odometer reading:
47,380 Miles

Test number:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160142439361

Test station name:
C R GARAGE

Test station number:

Test class:
IV

Date of test:
21/07/2010

Odometer reading:
47,380 Miles

Test number:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130832200243

Test station name:
RINKWAY AUTOCENTRE

Test station number:
V103614

Test class:
IV

Registration plate lamp shows direct white light to the rear (1.1.C.1f)

Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)

Rear fog lamp tell tale not working (1.3.1b)

Offside Headlamp aim too low (1.8)

Nearside Headlamp aim aimed so that it dazzles other road users (1.8.A.1)

Offside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.E.1)

Date of test:
21/07/2010

Odometer reading:
47,380 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:
RINKWAY AUTOCENTRE

Test station number:
V103614

Test class:
IV

Test expiry date:
20/07/2011

Date of test:
13/07/2011

Odometer reading:
54,747 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:
V R DENT

Test station number:
1ALM20

Test class:
IV

Test expiry date:
20/07/2012

Advisory Notice issued

Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)

Date of test:
31/07/2012

Odometer reading:
65,219 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:
BOSTON MOT CENTRE

Test station number:
V107609

01205 500007

Test class:
IV

Nearside Front headlamp broken Body has a sharp edge caused by damage (6.1.C.1)

Nearside Front bumper Body has a sharp edge caused by damage (6.1.C.1)

Nearside Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)

Offside Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)

Exhaust emits an excessive level of metered smoke for a turbo charged engine (7.4.B.3b)

Offside Rear Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.E.1)

Nearside fuel filler flap Body has a sharp edge caused by damage (6.1.C.1)

Advisory Notice issued

NSR wheel rim damaged.

NSF anti roll bar drop link bent.

NSF lower balljoint boot split.

Cut in tread of NSF tyre.

Chip in centre of windscreen.

Date of test:
14/08/2012

Odometer reading:
65,219 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:
BOSTON MOT CENTRE

Test station number:
V107609

01205 500007

Test class:
IV

Test expiry date:
13/08/2013

Advisory Notice issued

NSF lower balljoint boot split.

Chip in centre of windscreen.

This completes the test history for the above vehicle as recorded on VOSA's MOT Computerisation Database
Loafman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby fedup2 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:11 pm

stick the ebay link up lets have a loook :)
Launch x431 owner ;)
fedup2
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Loafman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Drove the 80 miles to get it and just got back. Has a few bad bits that weren't mentioned in the description, but drives very nice. Engine is very quiet, and pulls like a train and the gearbox is smooth. Fuel gauge didn't move a whole lot on the 80 mile journey home (the fuel light was on when I bought it of course, so I stuck £30 in). At 60mph all you can hear is a little tyre roar and a little wind noise, engine is very quiet.
All the dash lights and gauges seem to work well, but the central locking doesn't seem to work although I was using the key, as no fobs were supplied.

The main bad point was that the fuel cap fell apart when I filled it up, so I had to buy a universal one as a temporary measure, I'm a little annoyed because he had to have known about that, so could have told me how to refit it.

But all in all I'm quite happy. 8)
Loafman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Buyers Guide