*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Budget £9k + VAT

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Budget £9k + VAT

Postby greenyamochop » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:46 am

Looking to buy a Transit and wondered what I'd be getting for this money? Seen some clean low mileage 11 reg but they're the 85 ones, are these underpowered?

Currently got a Vivaro that has had troubles so looking to get rid, cheers.
greenyamochop
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Budget £9k + VAT

Postby ake » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:36 am

They are not underpowered, and will do the job, but the higher outputs do it a bit better!
If you plan lots of motorway driving go for a higher output, they have bet diff ratios and return better fuel economy.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby fedup2 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:28 am

I wouldnt want a lawn mower with just 85ps never mind a van that has to pull weight but its each to thier own.

I would go and drive a couple of different ps vans and see the difference for your self.Higher ps vans will cost a bit more but they are generally quite a bit better on fuel due to not having to floor them to get anywhere,less gear changes and less stress.
Launch x431 owner ;)
fedup2
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Tyrone101 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:35 am

I have a MK6 04 - 90ps Duratorq with low geared diff - She has and will pull 3 tonne on the back. All out hp means nothing when it comes to towing real loads on these vans. Driving style/gearing/torque/tyre pressures/trailer quality/bearings/distribution all come into play when pushing tripple axel trailers and heavy loads.

A fancy 140hp common rail transit with those shitty flywheels and weaker 6 speed gearboxes mean nothing when it comes to towing. Thats unless you are just pushing around small/medium sized trailers which a 1.3cdti combo could do.
Tyrone101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Wed May 15, 2013 7:05 pm

Tyrone101 wrote:I have a MK6 04 - 90ps Duratorq with low geared diff - She has and will pull 3 tonne on the back. All out hp means nothing when it comes to towing real loads on these vans. Driving style/gearing/torque/tyre pressures/trailer quality/bearings/distribution all come into play when pushing tripple axel trailers and heavy loads.

A fancy 140hp common rail transit with those shitty flywheels and weaker 6 speed gearboxes mean nothing when it comes to towing. Thats unless you are just pushing around small/medium sized trailers which a 1.3cdti combo could do.

That's a load of old shite if ever I heard it, quite apart from anything else, the 90 ps has the 'shitty' flywheel as the 140 ps. Furthermore the higher output engines have higher trailer weights.
ake
Site Moderator

Postby exarmyjedi » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:37 pm

ake wrote:
Tyrone101 wrote:I have a MK6 04 - 90ps Duratorq with low geared diff - She has and will pull 3 tonne on the back. All out hp means nothing when it comes to towing real loads on these vans. Driving style/gearing/torque/tyre pressures/trailer quality/bearings/distribution all come into play when pushing tripple axel trailers and heavy loads.

That's a load of old shite if ever I heard it, quite apart from anything else, the 90 ps has the 'shitty' flywheel as the 140 ps. Furthermore the higher output engines have higher trailer weights.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You tell him ake!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
exarmyjedi
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Location: N.Ire mountain man where the men are men and the sheep are scared!!!

Postby limitedblack » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:32 pm

ake wrote:

Does that mean I've got a Shi**y flywheel too :lol:
Happy Easter
limitedblack
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:35 am

limitedblack wrote:
ake wrote:

Does that mean I've got a Shi**y flywheel too :lol:

You sure do!
ake
Site Moderator

Return to Buyers Guide