*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

considering buying a mk7 van

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

considering buying a mk7 van

Postby finnon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:20 pm

at some point in the next 6 months im hoping to buy my own van. i currently work for the family buisiness but have been doing my own work recently also. and transporting tools in a car is a bit of a nightmare.

the family buisiness has a mk6 transit t280 currently. id be probably looking at a mk7 as the newest mk6 vans are getting on a tad now.

any advice as to what to look out for and what to avoid? engines? dunno if theyre the same as the mk6 engines.

why do some of these vans have white rad grilles and others dont? the vans with white grilles look canny decent like.

how bad are they at rusting? cant be worse than mk6 vans like.

id also looked at the citroen relay etc vans a little bit. just on ebay and the like. like i said its about 6 months or so off maybe. the relays seem to have a bit of a bad rep.

if anyone on here wasnt driving transits what would yous go for instead? i have only ever driven transits. a mk3 a mk4 2 mk5's and this mk6

cheers
present van is a 55 reg t280 85ps lwb semi high
finnon
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: considering buying a mk7 van

Postby Dmcc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:29 am

The white grills or colour coded ones are the trend or limited models , which are higher spec I believe. Or just painted like a few people on hear have
Dmcc
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby finnon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:38 pm

what would spec lists be? be nice to have a slightly better spec van. all the vans ive driven have been base spec. like windy windows and the like. the current van hasnt got a particularly good spec. a heated windscreen would be nice if they exist on transits. sure they do like.

id want semi high roof. maybe mwb or lwb, solid back doors so no windows to break and a bulk head? dunno if they was standard or not. glass windows always get smashed by the little darlings and tools go missing.
finnon
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jay » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:48 pm

i got heated front and rear screens.. mines a executive but mines a mk6 with mk7 front end but they do a mk7 exec which is ecactly the same as mine.. They rust as bad as a mk6 but if u waxoil all cavitys and underseal it underneath after a hot dry week it should last a while..
if you are in no hurry you can go look at several and go for the size roof and length you want,same as for the spec go look for what u want.
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:32 pm

jay wrote:i got heated front and rear screens.. mines a executive but mines a mk6 with mk7 front end but they do a mk7 exec which is ecactly the same as mine.. They rust as bad as a mk6 but if u waxoil all cavitys and underseal it underneath after a hot dry week it should last a while..
if you are in no hurry you can go look at several and go for the size roof and length you want,same as for the spec go look for what u want.

No Mk 7 executive Jay!

Earlier ones are either base, LX or GLX
Post 2008 are base, Trend or Limited
And of course the Chavtastic sport

LX have auto lights, wipers, front fogs, painted grill, side moulding, wheel trims, heated screen and mirrors, bluetooth
Trend also has cruise over above list
GLX/ limited have heated seats and AirCon, Alloys, Limited has velour seats

All 2012 on have heated screen
All from late 2008 have electric windows
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby finnon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:57 am

cool. i did wonder as they just say transit on the door. nowt else. my current van has like headlight level adjusters. but thats all. i assume they all got a rev counter.

id deffo want leccy windows and probs a heated screen. air con would be nice for the summer too haha.

do they all have a steel bulk head now? id be wanting one of those like. my 55 plate van has a plywood one.
finnon
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby finnon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:59 am

whats the spec on the sport vans? do they have the stripes down the front?
finnon
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:15 pm

Well my 08 glx has no heated seats ,side molding and came from ford with 15 inch steel? Wheels
Hope this confuses things
S.m allcock hugz

Btw the bigger the van is the harder to get hold of a glx/lx / trend / limited
There's has been a total of 1 lwb hi roof one for sale cheap :wink: :lol: since I have looking for one :x
Fooking loads of 100ps turtle power ones with wind up windows :x :x this is the 1990s for furke sake
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby finnon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:31 pm

i could go for a swb like if i could get sheet stuff in it. like laying flat. last time thinking about it with the swb we had to get sheets in at a funny angle but that was with a big shelf set up behind the chairs. deffo needs a bulk head in and then id re arange the way i rack the van out.
finnon
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:06 pm

finnon wrote:whats the spec on the sport vans? do they have the stripes down the front?

Same as the same aged GLX or Limited, but includes a shell suit and fast wearing tyres on horrible wheels.
Steel bulkheads standard on mk7
ake
Site Moderator

Postby finnon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:45 pm

cool so a glx would be the van to go for really, when the vans are a few years old does spec come into the price as much? or is it more a van is a van sorta thing?
finnon
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:23 pm

finnon wrote:cool so a glx would be the van to go for really, when the vans are a few years old does spec come into the price as much? or is it more a van is a van sorta thing?

Basically it makes them harder to find, as good spec vans as rarer, which makes them dearer, and it's the Limited you want cos it's the highest spec!
ake
Site Moderator

Postby finnon » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:35 am

haha ok cool ill have a look. see what the costs are like.

what about alarms? our mk6 hasnt got an alarm. but it does have the usual deadlocks and the like. what are they like security wise?
finnon
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:27 am

If it has a fancy interior light with 3 lights in it then its got an alarm :D
Tis best to looke ye van up on etis it. Tells you all that sh*t :o
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Buyers Guide