*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Newbie with another MK7 buying guide request...

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Newbie with another MK7 buying guide request...

Postby Martin1985 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:59 am

Hi guys,

First post on here. I need a new van for my plumbing and heating business and have been drawn towards a good old transit - hence why I am here to get some info and opinions from people who actually own and drive the vans.

I have a budget of an maximum of 6K and I am hoping this will get me into a MK7 LWB high roof van (need this for bathroom suites, heating systems etc...) with FSH and around 80k miles. Spec is a nice addition but not essential (except leccy windows and central locking!). I would rather buy on condition and service history if I'm honest.

I have lined up quite a few prospective vans on vantrader that range between 56reg up to 10 reg. I am interested to know what, besides the obvious checks, I should be looking for when going to view these vans? Are there any weak points with suspension and drive train? Any common engine, electrical faults that ought to have been dealt with?

I have read several peoples opinions online about living with MK7 transits. These are generally mixed. What do you guys think? Do they throw up a lot of issues over their lifetime? Or have they retained that bulletproof reputation of earlier models.

Any advice received will be much appreciated.

Cheers :)
Martin1985

Re: Newbie with another MK7 buying guide request...

Postby ake » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:44 pm

Make sure it starts easily and ticks over with out hunting
Make sure all warning lights come on at start up and then go out
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Re: Newbie with another MK7 buying guide request...

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:26 pm

And get a 330/350 there's a weird 300 lwb hiroof FWD on there that I estimate will only take about a 750kg load no good for you plumbers with all that heavy shiznit you carry around so don't even bother looking at it right :x
I am waiting for the price to go down you see :lol:
But someone might buy it by mistake in the meantime
:(
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Buyers Guide