*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Are there any ford transits worth buying at all ?

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Are there any ford transits worth buying at all ?

Postby remush » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:31 am

Hi all,

The cost of rent is out of control here in Brisbane, Australia. I plan on living in a van for a few years, and save for some land to build a house on.

So I'm looking at vans and i like the Ford Transit LWB High Roof, cause its not toooo expensive with high miles on it. Can be had here in Australia for under $10 000.

However every forum I look at about the Ford Transit says they have this problem or that problem. My girlfriends mechanic advised me to stay away from them.

Is there any particular model they made in a particular year that has a good reputation for reliability ?

Thanks from Australia,
Remus
remush

Re: Are there any ford transits worth buying at all ?

Postby Kedishen » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Remember that forums and mechanics will rarely see a van without problems...

IMHO, i would avoid any vehicle after 2003 considering the state of play with engine electronics but I am biased... I prefer something simple that you can fix with a reasonable toolkit..

If you don't mind slow and old, go for a mk3/4/5, but perhaps avoid the TD model in austrialia as parts are hard to source... although can be sent from England I hear for a reasonable price.
Livin' in me van in Portugal.

'93 Mk4 TD 150L Hitop Custom Camper
100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Buyers Guide