*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Buying help and awareness

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Buying help and awareness

Postby stevenp26 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi all, I am looking for advice and what to be aware of when buying a transit. I am looking for a mk Iv facelift model. I want anything apart from the 85bhp one.

I had the mark III back in 2010, it was an 05 125 bhp Swb model, I loved it and only sold it when I moved to Australia. However I am back now and am in the market for one and will be viewing some this week hopefully. One inparticular its 115bhp t280 122000miles(warranted). It's advertised as a 2.4 tdci but I'm guessing that's a mistype as the 2.4 is rear wheel drive?
What would be a good price for this kind of van? Looks to be clean enough.

What's the common things to look out for. I've read things about solinoids and erg valves?. What about clutches? I've literally just read (on this site) to make sure the van is cold when going to view it? What is the reason for this? I would really appreciate any advice that any one can give that would help me in my purchasing.

Thank you
stevenp26
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Buying help and awareness

Postby ake » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:36 pm

stevenp26 wrote:Hi all, I am looking for advice and what to be aware of when buying a transit. I am looking for a mk Iv facelift model. I want anything apart from the 85bhp one.

I had the mark III back in 2010, it was an 05 125 bhp Swb model, I loved it and only sold it when I moved to Australia. However I am back now and am in the market for one and will be viewing some this week hopefully. One inparticular its 115bhp t280 122000miles(warranted). It's advertised as a 2.4 tdci but I'm guessing that's a mistype as the 2.4 is rear wheel drive?
What would be a good price for this kind of van? Looks to be clean enough.

What's the common things to look out for. I've read things about solinoids and erg valves?. What about clutches? I've literally just read (on this site) to make sure the van is cold when going to view it? What is the reason for this? I would really appreciate any advice that any one can give that would help me in my purchasing.

Thank you

An 05 is a Mk6
After 06 is a MK 7.
Fwd are 2.2 in mk7
115 will be six speed.
You should always try to view a vehicle when it's cold, so you can here how well it starts.
Look for rust, and general signs of neglect.
Look for proof of servicing.
When turning on the key look for a battery light, oil light, engine light and a cog with an ! Inside it.
Start it up and all the lights should go out. If any don't come on before its started, or stay on once it is then there's problems.
Start it, then just let it sit and idle for a good few minutes, the idle should be steady and not hunt up and down, if it hunts, then it has problems!
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby stevenp26 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:41 pm

I appreciate the response, yes I did know that about the marks but admittedly I got it wrong after reading wiki and got it mixed up with the generations. :oops:
What about the egr valves, that I have read of. Are they a problem on every van or jus depends?. I know injectors were a problem on the mk6 2.0 ltr, are they still a problem on the 2.2?
As for rust is the key to get the black "stuff" (not sure the name it) sprayed underneath? How much is the cost of this?
Please bare my ignorance :oops: ,and give me any advice possible. Asking questions is the only way to become knowledgeable :wink:
stevenp26
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby stevenp26 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Also at what mileage does the clutches become problematic and how much are they to fix?
stevenp26
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:19 pm

stevenp26 wrote:Also at what mileage does the clutches become problematic and how much are they to fix?

That depends on the use and abuse they have received.
We've got a 08 260 on its original clutch, at 170k miles.

stevenp26 wrote:I appreciate the response, yes I did know that about the marks but admittedly I got it wrong after reading wiki and got it mixed up with the generations. :oops:
What about the egr valves, that I have read of. Are they a problem on every van or jus depends?. I know injectors were a problem on the mk6 2.0 ltr, are they still a problem on the 2.2?
As for rust is the key to get the black "stuff" (not sure the name it) sprayed underneath? How much is the cost of this?
Please bare my ignorance :oops: ,and give me any advice possible. Asking questions is the only way to become knowledgeable :wink:

Egrs can be a problem, but are easily changed, injectors aren't a huge problem on mk7

Waxoyl or similar will prevent further rust
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby stevenp26 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:41 pm

Cheers, thanks for the advice
stevenp26
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Buyers Guide