*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford Transit Turbo Diesel (Australia)

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Ford Transit Turbo Diesel (Australia)

Postby Dream-Chaser » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:34 am

Hey Guys

Gazza here from down under (Australia)

i searched the internet for a ford forum and only found limited help on the Ford Transit so i came here to ask a few questions

im looking at buying a older 1997-1999 Ford Transit the ute or flat bed type turbo diesel

what kind of fuel economy will i see?

are there any known problems?

will the transit be able to reach at lease 130kph?

im not to worried about slow performance so long as fuel economy is good

Thanks Guys
Dream-Chaser

Re: Ford Transit Turbo Diesel (Australia)

Postby Dream-Chaser » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:58 am

To add to my first post

i'm currently running a very small home based outboard business and i often drive interstate to pick up new stock for wrecking but i have an idea of doing delivery's on other items like ride on lawn mowers, motorcycles, go karts, furniture, car motors etc... anything really that will load onto the tray or into the van if i chose a van
Dream-Chaser

Postby derv23 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:01 am

Hi Gazza and welcome.

If the engine has been well serviced then Then I would imagine mid to high 30 mpg is achievable.
130 kmh should be easily achievable with the turbo, diff ratio depending. Could be a 85ps, 10ps 115ps (hp) engine.
Unless your in the wet parts of Oz (ha) I'd imagine the bodywork and mounts to be in fairly good nick.
It then leaves the electrical side of things.
If it's a factory fit Turbo Diesel then i'd imagine it'll have the Lucas epic fuel management system.
Great when there going good. I believe there are only a couple of legitimate code readers that can fully access the system for an honest diagnostic - Lucas Laser !? and something else I can't remember.

This is a great site with tons of info' stored. Great bunch of guys to. There are even some reasonably priced parts suppliers willing to post to OZ to .
Any other questions just ask away or search, as says tons o info n great guys :)
MK5 Tourneo.
derv23
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Dream-Chaser » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:49 am

Thanks for the reply Derv

i'll be looking at the 2.4L TD i found aweb site yesterday stating all the problems i think the models im looking at 1997-2003 should have any problems sorted out by now
Dream-Chaser

Postby derv23 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:36 am

I believe the Mk5 model roughly ran from 1995-2000 , and its more n likely the 2.5 tdi.
Which part of Ozzy you from ?
MK5 Tourneo.
derv23
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Buyers Guide