*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Clocked van??

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Clocked van??

Postby bluebottle » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:32 am

Hi all,

I'm looking at a '13 transit custom that's just come in px at an evans halshaw. It's mileage says 27k, but my Dad went to see it as he lives close, and said it looks great except there's a suspicious amount of wear on the pedals.

I am assuming (need to check), that it came in on contract hire as they just got a new one, and it's about a week from it's 3 year birthday. So, I guess there's a reasonably high motivation to clock the van and avoid mileage penalties..?

Is there any actual way I can check this at all? Other than suspicious pedals, it seems pretty mint he reckoned.

ta
bluebottle
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Clocked van??

Postby Brains_transit » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:38 am

Try looking up the mot history this will back up the miles
:arrow: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bluebottle » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:42 am

Brains_transit wrote:Try looking up the mot history this will back up the miles
:arrow: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk

I did - it's not had an MOT yet, it's just coming up to it's 3rd birthday..
bluebottle
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby walt1984 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:44 am

Only thing i can think of is looking at is tyres, do they match and do any tyres match the spare?
Its probably had a front pair.
You could check brakes, shouldnt of needed any pads at 27k. Have a nosey through wheel with a torch if you can. If discs have a lip on outside and pads are low or brand new its done hard miles or more miles than stated.
Service history?

Sent from my P330X using Tapatalk
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bluebottle » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:48 am

walt1984 wrote:Only thing i can think of is looking at is tyres, do they match and do any tyres match the spare?
Its probably had a front pair.
You could check brakes, shouldnt of needed any pads at 27k. Have a nosey through wheel with a torch if you can. If discs have a lip on outside and pads are low or brand new its done hard miles or more miles than stated.
Service history?

Thanks - I'm in the process of getting the service history.

He said one tyre was pretty low but the others good. Which seemed a bit odd.

Could that forscan software tell me if it's been clocked? ie if I buy it based on them assuring warranted miles and then I interrogate it, should I be able to see in the logs?
bluebottle
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby walt1984 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:53 am

Service history will confirm milage. If its missing its starting to sound suspect. You could try your local ford, give them the reg and see if its been in for any warranty work and what mileage was.

"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bluebottle » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:58 am

I'm not sure what it's service history is yet - I'm just checking.. I'll check the warranty work as well, good yes.
bluebottle
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Brains_transit » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:03 pm

Sorry :lol: I've never had a new vehicle where it doesn't need a mot so that went right over my head. Wear on the pedals could be boots with good grip. I also cant see why it would be clocked as it's a relatively new van and I'm sure you can only put the mileage forward using IDS
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bluebottle » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:08 pm

I know this shiny vehicle stuff is a bit new to me too :roll:

That's what I initially said, the owner was a joiner, maybe he just had really tough boots???

I don't know, I have no idea how easy it is to clock one of these new vans at all!
bluebottle
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:52 pm

27,000 miles in 3 years is 9000 miles a year, so its about average.

Depending on where the joiner works I can understand pedal rubber wear, if he's a joiner on a building site you get all sorts of stuff on your boots and in the grip which will aid to the wear.

What is the rest like steering wheel, seats, gear knob, switches etc, if they still appear like new then I'd say its most probably genuine mileage.

Service history should confirm, can you not contact the previous owner for some info.

If I was going to clock a vehicle I think for the price of some new pedal rubbers I would change them (not that I would clock a vehicle). N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bluebottle » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Yeah I agree, I think my Dad was just being a bit paranoid. I've had a chat with the guy selling it and they are going to do a bunch of checks, but they do a fair bit of work with this busienss and is convinced it's genuine mileage. My dad did say everything else looked lovely and shiny, so I think he was just finding the few faults he could see and expanding them.. The other thing was a bit of rust on the rear door hinges. I've seen that before on a 3 yr old custom at auction, I guess it's just a point to keep an eye on and make sure it stays well greased.

I've put a holding deposit down and am waiting to hear back after they've done all the prep and checks.

This is the most I've ever spent on a vehicle, I usually get ancient things...

Terrified of denting it now!
bluebottle
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Buyers Guide