*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit mk7

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit mk7

Postby Crocmikedd » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:31 pm

Looking for opinions
Been saving to buy another van for private use for sleeping in and transporting canoes
Im driving a 14 year old fiat scudo non turbo at the moment.my budget is going to be about 4000 for a swb van.
My current mechanic is putting me off buying a mk7 saying they rust out and you can open them with a tin opener.
Im still keen to buy one are they as bad as ive been told.help persuade me please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crocmikedd

Re: Transit mk7

Postby squirrel93 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Crocmikedd wrote:Looking for opinions
Been saving to buy another van for private use for sleeping in and transporting canoes
Im driving a 14 year old fiat scudo non turbo at the moment.my budget is going to be about 4000 for a swb van.
My current mechanic is putting me off buying a mk7 saying they rust out and you can open them with a tin opener.
Im still keen to buy one are they as bad as ive been told.help persuade me please.

Your mechanic is full of *****, there is plenty of locks to buy online that are well recommended, do a search on the forum there's plenty information, what dose your mechanic suggest a good van is?
squirrel93
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Punto443 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:02 pm

I had an old scudo before my mk6, great van, dog slow and had the worst cup holders known to man

But still liked it :D

Mk7's can rust if not looked after. But then so can just about anything else. But as clean a van as you can and watch out for signs of shitty resprays. Make sure it idles well from cold and has a genuine ford fuel filter look for any oil leaks and check around the top of the injectors for signs of diesel leaks.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby ned » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:05 am

You don't need persuading just bloody buy one :lol: what's the most common van you see when your out and about, everybody says "oh don't get a transit they rust like no tomorrow" but you still see quite a lot of mk6's on the road and even more mk7's, count how many other make of van the same size of your requirement you see and how many transits, I bet you'll see twice as many transits then you do all the other makes combined, I even see a few mk5's and a couple of mk3's still in everyday use.

So go on get looking and buy the best one you can find in your budget and for £4k you can afford to be picky and remember there is always this forum to ask questions about any possible purchase.

Happy hunting. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Crocmikedd » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:40 pm

Thanks i defiantly like the look of the transit over most other vans out there,i was thinking my mechanic just doesn't like transits or maybe he just gets the bad ones in.love seeing what people do with theres some nice ones on here.

Crocmikedd

Postby squirrel93 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:23 pm

nedforceone wrote:You don't need persuading just bloody buy one what's the most common van you see when your out and about, everybody says "oh don't get a transit they rust like no tomorrow" but you still see quite a lot of mk6's on the road and even more mk7's, count how many other make of van the same size of your requirement you see and how many transits, I bet you'll see twice as many transits then you do all the other makes combined, I even see a few mk5's and a couple of mk3's still in everyday use.

So go on get looking and buy the best one you can find in your budget and for £4k you can afford to be picky and remember there is always this forum to ask questions about any possible purchase.

Happy hunting. N

Iv got 2 mk6 lwb 2.4 03 plate 160k and it went threw it's mot in November with no rust issues, however the 2.0 mwb 05 plate is like a colander it's fill of expanding foam and under seal and will definitely not go threw another mot, the lwbhas less rust than my mk7 59 plate, just the luck of the draw bloody ford
squirrel93
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Buyers Guide