*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

suspect van for sale

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

suspect van for sale

Postby pepepluisje » Sun May 21, 2017 8:39 pm

hey guys

i was looking on gumtree last week and im thinking of needing to buy another van as mine had what i thought was a main injection pump failure which would cost more than the worth of the van here in france, it appears that it may in fact be the timing chain that has slipped so i will investigate further,

anyway there was a trend ad on there 2011; 89k immaculate in and out, alloys dark grey metal paint, side bars, chrome grill etc etc never used as a works van, even carpeted in the back, but the bodywork was or looked unmarked, sale price 7450, 3 days later came down to 6750. I offered 5800;6000;6250 then 6400; but the guy would not come down below 6600;

i done a hpi check inc mot history; and all was well, no mot failures except 2015, which was just a headlamp and tail light out; but the chk said it was a 115ps yet being sold as a 125; i questioned the guy about that and he insisted they were wrong; i asked for the vin no which he woulden't end over the net which i gues is fair enough, but a few days later he emailed me and said he had made a mistake and that he had just received the log book an was in fact a 115ps; he had only bought the van from a relative 4 wks before and thought it was a 125; he was selling as he had bought a transit tipper which was more suited to his work and in the end this van was just to tidy to use as a works van ????

i thought about it and decided i would not go to 6600 and he offered to drop to 6500 as hz had put the wrong add in but i was wary of two things; no service history, and selling a van after buying it 4 wks ago, so i mailed him and said not interested; he replied and said that actually he had had a viewing that morning and it was sold with the guy saying he would come back a week friday with the money and had offered 6550, but as i had looked first, he said i could still have it for 6500 if i was interested, i told him no

the ad vanished of gumtree and that was that; i was very tempted as it really looked nice with its chrome grills etc and i was more tempted that it had not been worked hard etc ??

then yesterday i went on and there was another one in the same area for sale dark grey, trend spec, for 4950; i looked at the ad and it looked the same van, so got a friend to mail him and ask for the reg as it was blanked out, he supplie it and was the same van !!!! i asked my mate that it looked like a van that was on there a few days before, and why had it been reduced so much over night, ? his reply was '' its a different van mate ''; !! so he asked; so you no the other van then; he said yes, he then asked so how come it has the same reg !!!! , to which he did not get a reply;

the van is still advertised, in witney oxford; i wonder what is going on there, ? it all sounds highly suspicious dont you think ??

in fact , the only real thing that stopped me buying it was it did not have air con,, everything else but air con; i found that odd as it does seem to also have the limited spec, with alloy wheels, side bars, leather steering wheel; gear knob, heated seat etc and thought that limited spec included air con but might be wrong probably

but as a matter of interest; what would i expect to pay for a top spec trend in that condition, and milage, ? 4950 seems rather low and have no idea why it is selling again that low as he has not responded anymore ??

just thought you would find my experience interesting :!: :?:

bob
pepepluisje
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: suspect van for sale

Postby Altransit » Sun May 21, 2017 10:04 pm

Got a link to the ad :?:

Witney is not too far from me, so I might go and check it out if I get a spare hour :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby pepepluisje » Mon May 22, 2017 12:24 pm

Altransit wrote:Got a link to the ad :?:

Witney is not too far from me, so I might go and check it out if I get a spare hour :mrgreen:

hi there, well the ad number has changed from last time i looked but it is now showing as 1242013945, but if you go on gumtree and just in the search bar '' immaculate transit trend 2011 in witney oxford, it will come up; its picture is next to a house, dark grey van but reduced the description of the spec now; but the reg number is P55ABE?

would be interesting to find out whats going on here

bob
pepepluisje
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby pepepluisje » Mon May 22, 2017 1:06 pm

pepepluisje wrote:
Altransit wrote:Got a link to the ad :?:

hi there, well the ad number has changed from last time i looked but it is now showing as 1242013945, but if you go on gumtree and just in the search bar '' immaculate transit trend 2011 in witney oxford, it will come up; its picture is next to a house, dark grey van but reduced the description of the spec now; but the reg number is P55ABE?

would be interesting to find out whats going on here

bob

in the search bar it only needs to be putting transit trend, and it comes up, not the other heading i told you ,, the phone number is 07787 052840

bob
pepepluisje
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Punto443 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:39 pm

I can't copy the link,
but it's parked beside a caravan, it's cheap, covered in Chrome and the sellers seems a bit dodgy?

Doesn't take a genius to work that one out! :lol:
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby Altransit » Mon May 22, 2017 1:42 pm

Punto443 wrote:I can't copy the link,
but it's parked beside a caravan, it's cheap, covered in Chrome and the sellers seems a bit dodgy?

Doesn't take a genius to work that one out! :lol:

I can see a load of 19kg Calor gas cylinders in one of the piccies too, just sayin' :P :mrgreen:
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby pepepluisje » Mon May 22, 2017 2:13 pm

hi guys

yes i did think what your suggesting, and the first guy i spoke to said he was in the block paving business !!!, i should have realised then; but it looked such good condition in the first ad pics which had a lot more than now, and more detailed spec than now

so i think best left alone then :roll: :oops: :oops: ; i expect its carpeted due to sleeping in it :o

bob
pepepluisje
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon May 22, 2017 2:40 pm

:idea: I wouldn't be that amazed if the reg number is not from that van, which is possibly why he wouldn't give you the VIN.
That number may be on another of his vans, and comes up OK in an Hpi check, and this one 'could' be well d*dgy :shock:
Just my little theory though (been there, done that! I wish I had a quid for mile that I've driven to look at a dodgy motor)
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby blue estate » Mon May 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Right I've just been on goolgle earth and looked at the location that gumtree gave for add and yes it a nice little collection of mobile homes
Go on google put in mister Lovell then look at Burford road to the west then just by the quarry there's a lane heading south towards A40 and look what's at the bottom
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Herts » Mon May 22, 2017 2:57 pm

Good work Blue.

Andy
MK7 - 2.4 RWD/HR/LWB 3.5T 140HP (BIG BOYS TOY!)

Number 1 Emergency Call out Engineer!!!

http://www.hertsplumbinganddrainage.co.uk
Herts
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby pepepluisje » Mon May 22, 2017 4:07 pm

hi guys

yes point taken; well done ; i did carry out hpi when i originally looked at the van and the private plate which checked out ok with hpi !!, was transfered i think 2015;

i will of coarse leave well alone, but im baffled in the reduction from what was a sold vehicle at 6550, then not sold and back on at 4950 ??

as i said, i had offered 6400, but he refused to drop below 6500, then when i said no, a day later he said it had been sold AT 6550. BUT im glad now that he didn't accept my offer, but the fact remains that it is spotless from the original pics, ( not the few you can see now ); but he said he bought it from a relative 4 weeks AGO, !!! which did get the bells ringing, :roll: :roll: :roll:

so will carry on looking, if mine is non repairable in what i would deem not too much money, i think around 2010/2012, trend, sport, limited perhaps although i understand not easy to find, but any advice on engine size would be helpfull, no heavy work, no towing, so light work,

thanks guys

bob
pepepluisje
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby pepepluisje » Mon May 22, 2017 4:11 pm

re the reg, it does check out as transfered in 2015, to a 2011 transit, grey, etc, i alsm asked hpi to re confirm with dvla that it was a 115ps, as the seller insisted it was a 125ps then admitted he made a mistake, so the van does not actually have any black marks against it from what i can see
:?: :?: :?: bob
pepepluisje
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Transits aren't rare, or hard to find, so look for another one.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Return to Buyers Guide