*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Viewing a mk7 2.4 rear wheel drive. Looking for a check list

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Viewing a mk7 2.4 rear wheel drive. Looking for a check list

Postby tmm » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi Guys
I'm going to look at a 57 reg, Mk7, 2.4 rear wheel high top transit tomorrow. It has done 146000 miles on it and had a fortune spent repairing the engine over the last few years, Van is £2000.
What do i look for and listen for when going to view it?
Are these prone to as much rust as the mk6 vans and in the same areas as the mk6. What are tell tale signs that the engine and gear box is on its way out? any advice and tips would be great thanks :)
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Viewing a mk7 2.4 rear wheel drive. Looking for a check

Postby loot » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:02 am

First signs of rust on mine were the box section at the very back behind the rear bumper. The front chassis legs get it too and generally where the water gets in, same body as the mk6 but it should be turkey built so just get under and look around, look at the brake pipes if they haven't been greased then they'll be near replacing.
Clutch lasts about 150+ miles in normal use.

Make sure the controls feel normal when driving and stopping.

No funny noises, wobbles, pulling, juddering.

Engine ticks over smooth and starts up on first turn of the key and is about 850rpm steady and quiet.

300+ for updates and valves might be needed, it isn't a fault but not that many ppl know.
Front or both batteries if original will surely need replacing.

But for 2k if it shows little signs of rot (surface rust will be there i think but is treatable).
And the drive is nice and tyres etc are reasonable and it is clean and tidy then sounds a fair price.

If it has so many body dents it looks like a land rover defender then I'd probably swerve it.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
[img]http://[/img]
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Re: Viewing a mk7 2.4 rear wheel drive. Looking for a check

Postby tmm » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:10 pm

loot wrote:First signs of rust on mine were the box section at the very back behind the rear bumper. The front chassis legs get it too and generally where the water gets in, same body as the mk6 but it should be turkey built so just get under and look around, look at the brake pipes if they haven't been greased then they'll be near replacing.
Clutch lasts about 150+ miles in normal use.

Make sure the controls feel normal when driving and stopping.

No funny noises, wobbles, pulling, juddering.

Engine ticks over smooth and starts up on first turn off the key and is about 850rpm steady and quiet.

300+ for updates and valves might be needed, it isn't a fault but not that many ppl know.
Front or both batteries if original will surely need replacing.

But for 2k if it shows little signs of rot (surface rust will be there i think but is treatable).
And the drive is nice and tyres etc are reasonable and it is clean and tidy then sounds a fair price.

If it has so many body dents it looks like a land rover defender then I'd probably swerve it.

Thanks mate your a star :)
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Buyers Guide