*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 Mini bus.

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk6 Mini bus.

Postby Steve4x4 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Not sold my Mk2 yet but a Mini bus has come up that actually looks quite good rust wise. The only repair done to it (on the MOT history at least) is an area of box section above one of the rear bump stops.
Not sure if this is common but where else do they start ? Possibly a bit of a silly question as they will probably rust everywhere but this one does seem quite good.
I've read that Turkey built ones seem better in some respects and having looked at what was one of the later built UK vans wonder if this is correct.
I need to do my homework as I really don't know much about later ones. This one is a 2.4 single wheel and RWD. Do these have dual mass flywheels, and at what mileage do they start causing problems ?
Thanks.
Steve4x4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Mk6 Mini bus.

Postby Steve4x4 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:25 am

Well, I went and bought it anyway so for now at least I am the owner of 2 Transits !
I took it for a reasonable test drive and it all works as it should. The body work is pretty tidy and the only major rust is on the chassis rails above the bump stops. One side has been repaired but the other is starting to bulge a bit so will need doing fairly soon I guess.
The only thing I don't have is a radio code. It had a new battery at some point recently so the code probably got lost then. I might investigate fitting a normal single Din CD player as all of my casettes are a bit stretched now.
I'm going it be using it to transport my daughters kart around to various track round the country so will have to remove most of the rear seats. I'd like to keep them really but it's a problem trying to find somewhere to put them.
Steve4x4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Steve4x4 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:34 pm

IMG_3957.JPG

I have given it a bit of a clean and removed the charity stickers that were on it. I don't need all the seats in it so all but six have been removed. It should go a bit better now without all the weight in it.

I did think it was just me but on a couple of occasions I selected 5th instead of 3rd so I though it was worth investigating. I did suspect something in the gear lever mechanism was worn but that wasn't too bad. What I did find was that the casting the end of the gear lever sits in was loose. On trying to tighten up the clamp I found the bolt had sheared off. A few minutes later with the help of my pillar drill I had removed the bit of broken bolt and after fitting and adjusting the lever position it now works properly again.

Just need to change the oil and I can take it for a proper run .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve4x4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ned » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:07 pm

Looks a clean van. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Steve4x4 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:32 pm

Thanks, I was very surprised how tidy it was when I went to look at it. I've been all over the place looking at suitable vans and this one is far better then a couple of 2009 ones I looked at. It's starting to go in a few places but on the whole it's pretty good.
I don't know if it makes a difference but this is a Turkish built one. I looked at a UK built 09 one and it was really starting to suffer.
Steve4x4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RustWidow » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:00 pm

Oh well done on a good buy :)
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Buyers Guide