*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Help choosing a van

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Help choosing a van

Postby Ishmk7 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:29 am

Good morning everyone,
First of all, I apologise if this is in the wrong section.
I currently have a mk7 t350 which I do love, sometimes more than the wife lol
But now having a little family it’s becoming more difficult, so I’m looking at getting a mk8 crewcab.

Now this is where I’m a little lost, I have a friend who’s said get 13-16reg as they have a timing chain and not the wet belt. He’s got a 15reg ltd so all the bells and whistles.

As I can’t afford to run a car and a van hence going for the crewcab. Family in the front and work in the back sort of thing.

Can anyone help with suggestions or n what I “should” be looking for and what to avoid.
I’m thinking LWB appose to SWB for that extra room in the rear to put racking etc.

Any advise on this will be greatly appreciated and if anyone knows one for sale even better.

Many thanks,
Ish with the mk7
Ishmk7

Re: Help choosing a van

Postby Altransit » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:07 am

Ishmk7 wrote: I’m looking at getting a mk8 crewcab.

I’m thinking LWB appose to SWB for that extra room in the rear to put racking etc.

Any advise on this will be greatly appreciated and if anyone knows one for sale even better.

Just to clear up any confusion, you can't buy a UK spec Mk8 as a SWB (L1), they only come as MWB (L2) and LWB (L3), and XLWB (L4), but you can get a LWB Custom (L2) which is a smaller van than a Mk8 :)

Whilst the 2.2 engine could be viewed as more reliable, the Euro5 version fitted in the early Mk8 isn't without it's problems, although the timing belt isn't one of them, as it has a chain!
The later 2.0 with its timing belt running in oil, has had problems with belts failing early, but with the amount of engines fitted in both Mk8, and Custom vans, that are out there working hard for a living, the percentage of problematic ones is very small comparatively. Fastidious maintenance, and frequent oil changes will go a long way to long belt life 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Buyers Guide