*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK3 transit rust bits NOT DIAL UP FRIENDLY

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Postby 100ps_drw_hicube » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:15 pm

jay wrote:mk6 are splitting!! doors already hell i would have thought ford would have done something about it by now..

welder seems the only way to cure it had mine and my dads welded up both as good as new still 8) mk5's seem to vary but nearly every mk3 i have seen are split :(
You only need two tools in life: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.
100ps_drw_hicube
Transit Abuser!!

rust

Postby barry peach » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:30 pm

thay rust under the diesal tank 2 my chasis my mk 5 i got 2 drop the tank soon and all mk3 i have had when u take front bumper off thay rot along front cross member where u cant see even from the top till u take it off and front spring hangers
barry peach
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby intransit 89 » Sat May 26, 2007 3:33 pm

our mk 5 hicube got that crack on the doors and i think we might drill a hole at the end of the crack and than tap the crack in and fill it :)
intransit 89
Irrelevant Poster

Postby MrMPuk » Sat May 26, 2007 3:34 pm

intransit89 wrote:our mk 5 hicube got that crack on the doors and i think we might drill a hole at the end of the crack and than tap the crack in and fill it :)

Filling it wont work as the door is always flexing there and the filler will just crack! You need to weld it up.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby intransit 89 » Sat May 26, 2007 3:54 pm

u mean blob weld it and than grind it down and than paint it?
intransit 89
Irrelevant Poster

Postby intransit 89 » Sat May 26, 2007 3:56 pm

back doors on hicubes crack as well in the hinge welded a plate and did new holds works well 1 year a go did that and still works but now the of side is starting top one both sides
intransit 89
Irrelevant Poster

Postby sportscott » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Just thought I'd add my bit, looking at the other pics realise that although my mk3 is 17 years old and a wee bit rotten it's actually not too bad, saveable, for most people economically not viable but I do everything myself. Some places that also need a mention are the outriggers at the rear and the area of the bulkhead where it meets the inner wing.
The best thing to come out of this di :wink: section is I know where to protect my mk5
Transit the everyday mans van....
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re:

Postby Roggan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:00 am

jay wrote:Afew more places on a mk3..the front doors can crack where the quarter light upright is.
they can also crack on the inside as well

My door has cracked exactly the same way. The main problem is that the upright post is totally rusted out. Do I have to make my own or are there spare parts available?
If I had the profile with measures I could make one myself. I have no idea how it is built up. Being a toolmaker by trade it will be quite easy to make one. Does anyone have the measures or a cross section of the post.
Roggan

Re: MK3 transit rust bits NOT DIAL UP FRIENDLY

Postby brookscd » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks.

A very useful thread for anyone looking at Transits

Thanks again!
brookscd
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Previous

Return to Buyers Guide