*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

what is the best courier van please nearly new

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

what is the best courier van please nearly new

Postby Wilky » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi
I am new don't bite kick or slap me yet wait till next week
Been offered job self employed courier, found a 330rwd lwb medium roof pre reg for £14599 is this a good van and price
Option 2 Vauxhall Movano pre reg lwb medium roof for £13250 is this a better deal back is bit longer
Or should i be looking at a totally different van, MPG is a big concern also any resale value in 4 years
If any body can recommend a good dealer web site It would be appreciated
Thanks in advance.
Wilky

Re: what is the best courier van please nearly new

Postby ME » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:11 pm

Wilky wrote:Hi
Been offered job self employed courier, found a 330rwd lwb medium roof pre reg for £14599 is this a good van and price
Option 2 Vauxhall Movano pre reg lwb medium roof for £13250 is this a better deal back is bit longer
Or should i be looking at a totally different van, MPG is a big concern also any resale value in 4 years
Thanks in advance.

The Transit is a Odd Ball being a 330 lwb med roof :? so thats nota particularly good pre reg price i think.

The Movano's are longer higher etc but only a 60k warranty i think so not good.

Mpg you can control by your driving style. Both my lwb hiroofs average 30 mpg consistently.

Resale after 4 Years is...................... Sweet FA to be truthfull with big miles covered in stone chips the odd battle scar worn out seat etc etc £2 k ish.

Have you been into a dealer or just trawled the internet ?
Mercedes Vimto Premium
ME
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby transitvan1234 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:24 pm

if it is your one van you are not likely to drive it like a bumper car keep it clean dont bash it off every thing that gets in the way and you would be more likly to make
4-5 k of it a transit would be the best bet depending on what you would be caring do you need a lwb swb are cheper
transitvan1234
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GBBiker » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:56 pm

If you are just starting out, wouldn't it make more financial sense to look for something 6-12 motnhs old? You could pick up a LWB MR T350 for around the £11-£12k mark fully loaded with goodies.
GBBiker
Wrong Again!

Postby turbovolvo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks in advance.

are you likely to be in central london a lot? if so might be better off with an lpg van? save £40 plus on congestion charge
turbovolvo

Postby Wilky » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi
Thanks to all that have responded so far
to answer a few questions
As The company I have been offered work with have you change the van at 4 yrs old I was looking for as new as possible with warranty
Need a LWB and some head room the 330 is a rwd this makes the floor around 4" higher I am told.(what is the best transit for the job ?)
The Movano whilst not having electric windows comes Ply lined (must cost £350 to have a van lined) is only 100ps with 2.5 engine 100k or 3 yr warranty
The work is local to Lancashire no long distance lot of stop start , I want to buy what is considered the best value for the money reliable and easy to live with
Thanks for all the information to date.
Wilky

Postby DEAN MACHINE » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks to all that have responded so far
to answer a few questions
As The company I have been offered work with have you change the van at 4 yrs old I was looking for as new as possible with warranty
Need a LWB and some head room the 330 is a rwd this makes the floor around 4" higher I am told.
The Movano whilst not having electric windows comes Ply lined (must cost £350 to have a van lined) is only 100ps with 2.5 engine 100k or 1 yr warrenty
The work is local to Lancashire no long distance lot of stop start , I want to buy what is considered the best value for the money reliable and easy to live with
Thanks for all the information to date.

get a rwd 330 or 350 they dont let me down , movanos are sh*t :lol:
DEAN MACHINE
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sc_BK » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Surely you'd be better off with a 350, 200kgs more payload?

If you want more headroom go for a RWD high roof or FWD med roof
sc_BK
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby jay » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:35 pm

movanos also eat 3rd gear syncromesh as well.I have driven some with 30k and they crunch going into 3rd...
Would also say go transit(well it is a transit forum so a few will be biased)lwb high roof so you dont bang your head getting into the back and you can get more parcels in as well as full size pallets if needed...wouldnt go sprinter either much higher price for less quality..
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby angeleye » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:48 pm

listen to some one who no,s do not , do not buy a van,, lease it there are some good deals about, no repair bills , no tyre bills no service bills,no road tax bills.no recovery bills,if you dont like the van change it, new van every couple years, most couriers will tell you the same. as one member says , resale value will be crap., i no i bought a van 135 jumbo, repair bills have been sky high, and now its been of the road at least ten weeks, meaning i have to rent a van, and still pay for my own van, and repair bills.100,000k warranty on transits. wont take long to do that,(its about time they gave us 300,000k like the sprinter)worse thing i ever done was buy the van.what type of van to get,depens on what you will be carrying, 330, wont be any good if you want to carry 1000kg, also most lease vans come ply lined, ive drove most types of vans, and the transit is the best handling van on the road, and up until last year the most comftable.
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Wilky » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:00 pm

I anticipated Transits being viewed as best on this site, Transits are also the most bought van in the UK (and most stolen inc cars)
The lease option does tick alot of boxes no down time no unexpected bills etc, is any one on here leasing and got good recommendations
Thanks
Wilky

Postby angeleye » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:09 pm

thers that many leasing options about its a case of trawling the ads , why dont you have a word with company your goin to work for, there in the game ,they normaly have deals with local leasing companies,and insurance companies, have a word the lads who work there, there doin what your planning to do they usaly no best places to go.what type of work is it , multidrop, long distance,? dont be misled that a smaller horse power engine, will give better mpg, it dont always work like that
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ME » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:32 pm

angeleye wrote:listen to some one who no,s do not , do not buy a van,, lease it there are some good deals about, no repair bills , no tyre bills no service bills,no road tax bills.no recovery bills,if you dont like the van change it, new van every couple years, most couriers will tell you the same. as one member says , resale value will be crap., i no i bought a van 135 jumbo, repair bills have been sky high, and now its been of the road at least ten weeks, meaning i have to rent a van, and still pay for my own van, and repair bills.100,000k warranty on transits. wont take long to do that,(its about time they gave us 300,000k like the sprinter)worse thing i ever done was buy the van.what type of van to get,depens on what you will be carrying, 330, wont be any good if you want to carry 1000kg, also most lease vans come ply lined, ive drove most types of vans, and the transit is the best handling van on the road, and up until last year the most comftable.

100K Warranty ? have a look here

http://www.ford.co.uk/Buyingandprotecti ... edWarranty
Mercedes Vimto Premium
ME
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby angeleye » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 pm

there all well and good, but extra cost, and they will dispute claims if they can. and when you say your a courier who do mega miles, itll come at a price, some of theses warranties limit milage,(dont no about this one) . they give you 7 days vechile hire, i no personaly it aint always fixed in 7 days.they had mine once for a month.dont want to put these warranties down, there good for some people.high milage mega use vans leasing is the way to go.
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby vandaft1980 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:11 pm

Only saying this for milage warranty
i will get slated for saying this i would maybe consider 311cdi sprinter unlimited milage warranty plus the were giving you 5 years free servicing.But personally i would go for a 200ps 30k miles or 2 years servicing plus better on fuel consumption than a 140ps. :D
vandaft1980
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Buyers Guide