*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

NEW TRANSIT but what drivetrain?

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

NEW TRANSIT but what drivetrain?

Postby Adidasandy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi all, looking to change my van from a sprinter to a transit. The spec I'm going for is Brand new 350 140ps lwb hi roof but stuck on FWD or RWD. The van will be fully loaded at all times carrying it's max. From what I've read the FWD is beeter on fuel, better in snow etc and costs £1500 less that a RWD. Also the bonus with a FWD is the rear floor is 3ins lower due to no prop or rear diff. Any feedback would be great. Just a bit concerned about buying the wrong van for me. The guy at Ford said the FWD would be the better option for me due to a lower floor as this van will be a mobile workshop but did state that a 140ps will wear the front tyres down alot more than a 115 FWD but would that not be too under powered. Not travelling massive distances, about 300mile a week give or take, mainly to and from breakdowns etc.
Thanks in advance Andy
Adidasandy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: NEW TRANSIT but what drivetrain?

Postby ake » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:43 pm

Biggest thing is whether or not you need to tow, RWD are higher plated and better for towing, also as you are going to be running heavy all the time then it might be better RWD as there is less wheel spin when pulling away etc
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Adidasandy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:52 pm

In the end I bought a FWD 140 350. After 2 years of running it the only issue I had was a knocking drive shaft which was done under warranty. Front tyres are due to be replaced now and they have covered 45k carrying 3.5t all there life and rear tyres are not even half way.
Very happy with it and getting a new one next March.
Adidasandy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby AndyG » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Adidasandy wrote:In the end I bought a FWD 140 350. After 2 years of running it the only issue I had was a knocking drive shaft which was done under warranty. Front tyres are due to be replaced now and they have covered 45k carrying 3.5t all there life and rear tyres are not even half way.
Very happy with it and getting a new one next March.

8)

Your new one will be the "MK8" :wink:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Return to Buyers Guide