*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Buying advice

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Buying advice

Postby toolbox » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi - I'm new to this and would like some advice on buying a mk 6 transit. I've got a budget of £2000-£5000 and need something for carting two motocross bikes in. I need a SWB because parking is always tight where I stay but a medium roof would be handy. Also, I'll be fitting a petrol driven compressor and occasionally lugging an HGV wheel/tyre, and/or towing a diesel generator.

What sort of condition/mileage can I expect for my budget and what sort of power/engine capacity should I be looking at? Also, what kind of mileage is typical for these vans. I can do pretty much all mechanical work myself but it would be nice to have something I can run about in for a while and not get my hands dirty (or more dirty than they usually are anyway..!)

Any advice would be appreciated as I expect this is a question a lot of people are sick of answering.

Cheers.
toolbox

Re: Buying advice

Postby fedup2 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:03 pm

The mk7 drives much better,quieter and is better on fuel and ive had both.Theres plenty of mk7's about for 5 grand.It isnt the mk thats going to determine wether you get your hands dirty you get good and bad vans in both,get it right and a mk7 will give you a big grin every time you drive it,a tddi mk6 will just give you ear ache :lol:
Id go for as big a ps/bhp as you can find within budget.
Have a search on Ebay for an indication of whats available.

Mileage is no indication of condition and higher mileage vehicles can have less problems than low mile ones and service history means little.
A van thats spent its life round town will be alot more worn out than one with double mileage sat on motorways living a stress free life,but may have a few more chips.
There is quite a few swb vans about now that have been privatly owned from new and mainly used as cars id be trying hard to find one.
The prices go up alot the more goodies there is.

Choose carefully as with any vehicle nowadays problems can cost big money.
Launch x431 owner ;)
fedup2
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Buyers Guide