*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.5 DI (Lucas Epic) Yellow Injectors

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

2.5 DI (Lucas Epic) Yellow Injectors

Postby the_biochemist » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi

Have read a number of posts on here about the yellow spot injectors (130ps) but they all seem to relate to individuals as they replace their epic pump with a bosh.

I have an LDV Convoy (2000 T) with the 2.5DI Turbo and lucas pump I think it has the 110/115 ps injectors which I believe were the standard on the model.

Most threads around the yellow injectors include 'turning up the fuel pump' as a requirement for any real benefit but obviously I can't do that on an EPIC.

The question I have is would any of the below have a material (i.e. really noticeable benefit) on power at either top end cruising (70+ mph - its a motorhome I'm allowed... honest!!!) or power to maintain speed up steep or long hills...

1) putting in an intercooler (with current pump and injectors)
2) putting in 130ps injectors (with current pump and no intercooler)
3) putting in an intercooler and 130ps injectors (with current pump)

Have been through and checked/replaced/tightened the basics - fuel filter, fuel lines, hose clips on boost pipes, turbo connection to exhaust manifold and it is running very well - can get to 80mph without too much hassle and cruise at 75 (70 is a really bad point for low resonance vibration, ear bleedingly so, but 65 or 75 are silent). It can also hold its speed now (just) on the 2 mile incline on the M40 coming up to junction 5 from oxford direction (if you happen to know it!) which would previously have had the speed drop to about 35.

Just feels like it has more to give but something is throttling it.

Any other ideas bar a Bosh conversion or replacement with a transit ;o) would be interesting too.
the_biochemist

Re: 2.5 DI (Lucas Epic) Yellow Injectors

Postby mrepson » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:51 pm

be nice to know,as I have a 115ps epic smiley,& if I fit the 130 yellow injectors will it run ok, more poke :D or smoke alot :(
mrepson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mr RVM » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:59 pm

mrepson wrote:be nice to know,as I have a 115ps epic smiley,& if I fit the 130 yellow injectors will it run ok, more poke :D or smoke alot :(

More smoke :!: :( there's not a lot (if any) adjustments you can make to an Epic pump so its unlikely that you will be able to "tune" the pump to the 130ps injectors :?:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jay » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:54 pm

thought all the ldv 2.5Di were all 85ps turbos... I know the later ones with duratorq engines wernt high power engines.
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby the_biochemist » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:14 am

I believe that, despite LDV's general view of lets scrape the bottom of the barrel approach to vans, they actually did put the 115ps injectors in the epic turbos.

Thanks for the feedback on the injectors - what about an intercooler? would that help with a little more oomph? I could mount it just below the front bumper with two big blue silicone hoses... oh no previous life 8) but seriously would an intercooler help?

Having read a little more I think I might need to change the rear axle for a 4.xx as it is running really well at the moment it is just 70mph (3800rpm ish) is a bad point for vibration and therefore dropping the rear axle ratio will hopefully drop the cruising rpm so that it doesn't make such a noise.

Not sure if that is going to be too big a job for me though??? I have a reasonable understanding of one end of a spanner from the other but am a little concerned with what seems to be a big job?

Is it the whole axle that would need to change or just the gearing in the diff? I would be much happier if I didn't have to mess about with the brakes, load sensing valve and all that.
the_biochemist

Postby Kedishen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:48 am

I read elsewhere adding intercooler to EPIC throws up the red light and limp home mode.

I asked the question before and I think the answer was is because it doesn't like the difference in air density at the sensor... but if you were to change the position of the sensor to before the intercooler then it may work? Can't remember tbh.

Another option instead of rear axle change is to have the 5th gear changed to that of a Scorpio. There is a thread somewhere on forum about this.

If you are already getting 70mph from your van... you won't get much more out of it. What ratio is the rear axle? Surely is 4.63. Can't imagine 5.14 getting 70mph without screaming balls out of engine.
Livin' in me van in Portugal.

'93 Mk4 TD 150L Hitop Custom Camper
100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AndyG » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:58 am

It does sound like the axle ratio is what needs to be addressed :!:

ALL Convoy TDIs are 100PS :!: (1997-2002)
There's no such thing as 115PS STANADYNE injectors :!:
The Transit TCI 115PS used 100PS injectors :!:
The later Tddis were either 75PS or 90PS duratorqs :!: (The front bumper gives away the difference)

Fitting the yellow spot marine 130PS injectors are likely to give you increased power, noticeably more smoke and much higher fuel consumption :!:
But as nobody has actually tried this combination on their 100PS EPIC.....................
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Return to Technical Problems & Questions