*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Squealing noise!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Squealing noise!

Postby nicosbardos » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi! New to the group. So , my 2008 2.4 mwb transit decided on startup the other week to shed its crankshaft pulley!! I'm self employed and ended up losing a week as the garage couldn't get the bolts undone!!! Anyway, that got sorted, but 2-3 days later a squeal started happening, contacted garage , said to bring it in and Sod's law no noise!. Left it with them fri-mon and and they couldn't find the squeal! Picked it up , drove it home no squeal!!!. Started up next morning , that's right started squealing!!! This was Tuesday just gone! Now I've manage to locate the area of squeal ( I believe the tensioner pulley) my reason for believeing this, I spray wd40 on each pulley in the area and the tensioner was the one that stopped it!! Am I correct in believing this as I've just bought a new tensioner at £115 and don't want to fit it if it's sommit else??!! Please help thank you.
nicosbardos

Re: Squealing noise!

Postby knobby1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Sounds like you've pretty much nailed it....You can get a new tensioner and belt from TPUK for under 60 quid..!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-TRANSIT ... Sw5UZY~brw

Might pay to replace the other idler pulley as well...being the same age as your tensioner, sods law says it'll also fail soon. :roll:

With the three crank bolts....they can be undone by using a 15mm socket, short extension and knuckle bar....with the knuckle bar sitting on a jack stand....then a short hit on the starter, she'll make a nice crack noise too as they're usually "effing" tight. :wink:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby nicosbardos » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:56 am

Lovely old job ! That sounds a better price too!! Now will it do much damage if I were to keep driving it till I re ordered this part again??
nicosbardos

Postby nicosbardos » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:03 am

What belt size would I need aswel then ?? Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nicosbardos

Postby knobby1 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:37 am

nicosbardos wrote:What belt size would I need aswel then ?? Many thanks

If you have air con, it'll be a 7PK-2842... if not it'll be 7PK-2682

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby nicosbardos » Wed May 03, 2017 5:57 pm

Soooo, I put the new part on, but didn't do the belt or idler due to funds. Guess what , after a few days the noise is starting to creep back in! Surely it can't be the new part I put on (auto belt tensioner) Someone suggested replace idler pulley aswel? Tia
nicosbardos

Postby knobby1 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:49 pm

nicosbardos wrote:Soooo, I put the new part on, but didn't do the belt or idler due to funds. Guess what , after a few days the noise is starting to creep back in! Surely it can't be the new part I put on (auto belt tensioner) Someone suggested replace idler pulley aswel? Tia

Yep...I suggested that three posts up..! While you have the belt off, give all the pulleys a spin, including the center idler, fan pulley, alternator, water pump, vacuum pump and P/S pump.... to see if they're all running smooth, if dry or rough....replace/repair as required. With the belt off, hold/bend it inside-out, if you can see cracks or splits in the tracks, it'll need replaced.

Made the same mistake myself on my brother's old van, thought I knew better :oops: :oops: ....It ain't rocket science :wink: :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions