*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gas locker access.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Gas locker access.

Postby GBW » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:45 am

I have made a steel welded up box and it is ready to be sealed to the access door in the offside rear. The locker door is ventilated at the top and there is a through-floor drain.

All good so far. BUT! I like to turn the cylinder off at the bottle when it is not in use and I don't really like or trust solenoid valves.

At the moment turning the gas on for a wake up cup of tea involves a trip outside which takes the edge off it somewhat and we sleep naked!

Top access to the locker is tight but the easiest to seal. A side access panel would be best for space saving but messy to seal. I would really like a quick release circular hatch but the only ones I have found are plastic.

Anybody solved this problem?

(I have a boat and there is no requirement for a lid on the locker. Why is that different (apart form cosmetics?))
GBW
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Gas locker access.

Postby Keef » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Propane is heavier than air so your vent should be at the bottom to allow it to escape without filling the box with gas.

If you made the box you should find it easy enough to fit a trap door with a rubber seal so you can access it from inside.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby GBW » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Keef wrote:Propane is heavier than air so your vent should be at the bottom to allow it to escape without filling the box with gas.

It is.

If you made the box you should find it easy enough to fit a trap door with a rubber seal so you can access it from inside.

It is not! I did think of an immersion heater boss with a closer but the wires delicate fingers will not go through. It give the idea though.
GBW
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GBW » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:37 am

GBW wrote:
Keef wrote:Propane is heavier than air so your vent should be at the bottom to allow it to escape without filling the box with gas.

It is.

It is not! I did think of an immersion heater boss with a closer but the wife's delicate fingers will not go through. It gives the idea though.
GBW
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Keef » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:05 am

GBW wrote:It is not! I did think of an immersion heater boss with a closer but the wires delicate fingers will not go through. It give the idea though.

Propane vapours are, click the link

http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/1973-is-lp ... ir-propane
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby GBW » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 am

Keef wrote:

GBW wrote:It is not! I did think of an immersion heater boss with a closer but the wires delicate fingers will not go through. It give the idea though.

Propane vapours are, click the link

http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/1973-is-lp ... ir-propane

You misread!

I quoted "It is" against propane vapours are heavy etc.

Then I quoted 'It is not" against "easy etc".

I am a boat owner where escape of gas is far, far more serious than in campers as it sinks to the lowest level and stays there until it is pumped out or goes off with a bang.
In a camper, it can fall through the floor.
I still wonder why lids are required in vans but not on boats. What purpose do they serve?
GBW
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Keef » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:32 pm

My mistake.

How about something like this with a rubber seal around the door?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-St ... 2182577496
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby GBW » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Keef wrote:My mistake.

How about something like this with a rubber seal around the door?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-St ... 2182577496

That looks the sort of thing. I've made a sort of circular plug which, maybe, I can post a picture of. Bit of the top like most things I do!
GBW
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby the_big_fact_hunt » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:54 pm

cant you put a secondary valve inside the vehicle?
Solve the World food problem.......... Feed the homeless to the hungry

2012 115T350
the_big_fact_hunt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Technical Problems & Questions