*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Previous Fault codes from a removed ECU Mk7

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Previous Fault codes from a removed ECU Mk7

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:59 pm

nznikin wrote:Cheers, I will purchase this one and put it in. The current one installed is also black, looks like the original as well.

Yeah...they don't last forever, they suffer badly in a pretty nasty environment.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby loot » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:17 pm

If you cut the power to the pcm and swapped the engine then refitted the engine and then fitted the pcm/powered it, you should be ok but if at any point in between you turned the ignition on them it's Christmas lights time.

But regardless of that you should do all of your work then run it all then clear codes then see if any return.

Engine symbol is 99% egr.
:-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:31 pm

loot wrote:If you cut the power to the pcm and swapped the engine then refitted the engine and then fitted the pcm/powered it, you should be ok but if at any point in between you turned the ignition on them it's Christmas lights time. But regardless of that you should do all of your work then run it all then clear codes then see if any return. Engine symbol is 99% egr. :-)

+1..^^

Good advice that..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby nznikin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:06 am

loot wrote:If you cut the power to the pcm and swapped the engine then refitted the engine and then fitted the pcm/powered it, you should be ok but if at any point in between you turned the ignition on them it's Christmas lights time.

But regardless of that you should do all of your work then run it all then clear codes then see if any return.

Thanks for the advice loot.
I have the powertrain light come on not the engine light. Could the powertrain light also be the egr? I'm replacing it either way as it looks like stock and also the engines out so might as well.
2011 2.4L RWD Duratorq-DI (115PS) – Puma, 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.
nznikin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby nznikin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:09 am

loot wrote:If you cut the power to the pcm and swapped the engine then refitted the engine and then fitted the pcm/powered it, you should be ok but if at any point in between you turned the ignition on them it's Christmas lights time.

Just removed the EGR. Do you know what this orange looking build up is? Best guess would be rust. Odd looking "rust" though. I'm going to blow compressed air through the heat exchanger to see if its blocked up with carbon as well.

Cheers,
Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nznikin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:47 am

Powertrain light is fuel system so injectors, prv, valves, pcm etc.

Orme build up imo will be coolant :-(
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby nznikin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:53 am

loot wrote:Powertrain light is fuel system so injectors, prv, valves, pcm etc.

Orange build up imo will be coolant :-(

Ah, yes I think you are right. SO I guess I'm leaking coolant back into the intake... :( New EGR it is.... Then again could be the heat exchanger that leaking. Seems more plausible.
Thanks for the info on the powertrain light. I think ill sort out that when the engine is back in so I can read codes. prv is easy to get to. Hoping not valves though... By pcm do you mean just an old code that needs to be erased?

Cheers,
Nick
Last edited by nznikin on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
nznikin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:56 am

Valves is prv and scv.:-)
Pcm codes can be software, learns etc needed.
I would refit the engine and get it all ready then read and clear codes then run it and then update the pcm software and fuel pump learn and injector pilot learn etc.
If the injectors are swapped about or replaced you'll need to program then in too :idea:
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby nznikin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:01 pm

loot wrote:Valves is prv and scv.:-)
I would refit the engine and get it all ready then read and clear codes then run it and then update the pcm software and fuel pump learn and injector pilot learn etc.
If the injectors are swapped about or replaced you'll need to program then in too :idea:

Is it common for the coolant side of egr system to leak into the exhaust side of the system? And where would that point be? I'm going to pull it all apart tomorrow to diagnose it all.

Cheers,
Nick
nznikin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:04 pm

nznikin wrote:

Is it common for the coolant side of egr system to leak into the exhaust side of the system? And where would that point be? I'm going to pull it all apart tomorrow to diagnose it all.

Cheers,
Nick

I believe it is the oil cooler that cracks and leaks in under pressure but you'll have to do a search to get more accurate info.
If it is only a tiny amount then could the egr have slowly passed a little? Is it an amount that you would have noticed ie constantly topping water up etc? What's the story?
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby nznikin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:12 pm

loot wrote:
nznikin wrote:

Cheers,
Nick

I believe it is the oil cooler that cracks and leaks in under pressure but you'll have to do a search to get more accurate info.
If it is only a tiny amount then could the egr have slowly passed a little? Is it an amount that you would have noticed ie constantly topping water up etc? What's the story?

The van is new to me, actually an export of the UK to NZ. The coolant was full when I got it.. So hard to tell if it was just topped of before it left. It does seem like a very small amount as the build up is just on the egr and not on the mating pipes either side of it. I'm going to pressure test the exchanger to see if it got any leaks from the coolant to exhaust circ sides. If not then good. The EGR is getting replaced regardless of if its good or not, its stock with 200km on it so no better time to replace then when ive got good access to it.
nznikin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions