*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Automatic Gearbox won't change to top gear when hot

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Automatic Gearbox won't change to top gear when hot

Postby johnbryden22 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 pm

I have a 1997 MK5 LWB Auto. I knew the gearbox was going so had another box put in yesterday. I was told that it had done about 55,000 miles and oIn a long journey today it was fine until about 3 hrs in when it stopped changing up to high gear. This was a problem with my old box. I can change up manually (mostly) and when the engine is cool it changes with no problem. I also don't seem to have the kick down. Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause, I have checked the oil when hot after all the various gear positions.
Anybody got any ideas?
johnbryden22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Automatic Gearbox won't change to top gear when hot

Postby AndyG » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 pm

Who fitted the box :?:
Has the kickdown cable been adjusted correctly :?:
Did it have a new filter and oil :?:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby johnbryden22 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:19 pm

The man I bought the box off fitted it with his mechanic friend.
Don't know about the cable or filter or oil and as I have some mobility issues I have to trust that these things have been done but will check. What do I look for with regard to the kickdown cable?
Regards
johnbryden22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby AndyG » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:30 pm

Check that there is enough perceptible slack on the cable NOT to be pulling on the lever :!:

If you pull on the cable and allow it to "snap" back, you should be able to hear the lever click back to it's normal position :)

Or move the lever directly and see (feel) it travels back to it's stop position :idea:

What colour is the oil :?:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby johnbryden22 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding - I'm now in Deauville, France with Transit and family.
I've narrowed down the problem. When the engine is cold I can change up through the gears with no difficulty, however when the engine is hot it will not change into 4/overdrive but if I put my foot hard to the floor and then ease off slightly it goes into 4/overdrive. Is this a control box problem or a kickdown cable adjustment? Can you advise?
Am using wifi in cafes to check my emails etc periodically hence the delays in responding and will be driving home via Calais on Monday morning.
Regards
johnbryden22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby AndyG » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:16 pm

AndyG wrote:
What colour is the oil :?:
:?:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby johnbryden22 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:18 am

It's a replacement gearbox and the oil is new and pink. Have also checked that the level is correct.
johnbryden22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby AndyG » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:19 pm

Incorrect oil/overheating :idea:

O/D band out of adjustment :idea:

Pressure solenoid filter needs cleaning :idea:

Sticky governor :idea:

Sticky valve/s in valve block :idea:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby johnbryden22 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks very much, will start with the oil and filter.
Regards
johnbryden22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby madbri » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:48 pm

johnbryden22 wrote:Sorry for the delay in responding - I'm now in Deauville, France with Transit and family.
I've narrowed down the problem. When the engine is cold I can change up through the gears with no difficulty, however when the engine is hot it will not change into 4/overdrive but if I put my foot hard to the floor and then ease off slightly it goes into 4/overdrive. Is this a control box problem or a kickdown cable adjustment? Can you advise?
Am using wifi in cafes to check my emails etc periodically hence the delays in responding and will be driving home via Calais on Monday morning.
Regards

maybe ask 4 1 of the auto guys if u can call in if there on your route after cala :wink: is
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby johnbryden22 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Hi
Managed to get back to UK and am overnjghting in Baldock Services on A1M.
Only thing I can check myself is the oil, which I've done.
Now don't have any power in D and am limping along in 3.
Had enough now, will be changing to a manual box and selling it :(
Thanks for all the advice, it's nice to have support out there in Transit land.
Regards
johnbryden22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby AndyG » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Is the red engine light on in the dash :?:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby johnbryden22 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi, here's an update.
Took the van back to the guy who recently fitted the replacement auto gearbox in Durham and he changed it for a manual box. Drove back home to Glasgow. It's noisy, no speedo and no reversing lights but it's going well. Apparently I need an electronic drive to fix the speedo although it appears that the wiring is there and I just need the plug but have no idea about the reversing lights. I am so pleased to be properly mobile again :D
Can anyone offer any advice on my latest little hiccups? I am now determined to restore my van to it's former glory!
Regards
johnbryden22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby man-and-van » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:41 pm

HI ANDY G !!.I have the same problem the red light is on .the dashboard one ..check engine light and is apparently in limping mode ...I did all the servicing and everything hope is fine ..Could you help me to reset the red light and to take this out of limping mode ?Regards
man-and-van

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:08 am

man-and-van wrote:HI ANDY G !!.I have the same problem the red light is on .the dashboard one ..check engine light and is apparently in limping mode ...I did all the servicing and everything hope is fine ..Could you help me to reset the red light and to take this out of limping mode ?Regards

Umm...you do realize the last post in this thread is ~5-1/2 years old now...?? AndyG is still fairly active though..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions