*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

How to remove Power Steering Pump 1999 VG Mk3

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

How to remove Power Steering Pump 1999 VG Mk3

Postby rebuilder86 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:31 am

I have a pretty annoying leak from the power steering pump which is causing frothing and noisy operation in the morning, and leaving a trail wherever i park :(
This van is the first vehicle in my life where i simply cannot see how the belt is tightened. It ust makes close to no sense.
There is the idler pulley wiht an offset bolt through it, but i see absolutely nowhere on it where one would put a tool to tighten it during assembly, other than the bolt itself. there is no where on it to put pressure back on the belt so ive been too affraid to commit to dissasembly.
Is there some special service tool required to work on the AC/PS pump belt?
rebuilder86
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: How to remove Power Steering Pump 1999 VG Mk3

Postby rebuilder86 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:59 am

Anyone? I now have more issues in that same belt line, noisy tensioner pulley which i now know is there, so i know i need to start with that, but how on earth do u untension the pulley. All i can think of is that you need a special "ford only" expensive tool, something i cant possibly afford. Im at the stage of needing to see a psychologist because its getting me so down i cant get through a day of work.
rebuilder86
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jim Archer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:26 am

99 should have power steering pump driven on a separate belt run - along with AC compressor if fitted.

Belt tension is achieved by pivoting the PS pump mount plate - there is a Hex/Square punched into it.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby rebuilder86 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:07 pm

thanks jim, there is a sepereate belt for the PS and AC but there are no pivot points, tension adjusters or moving plates on either the PS pump or the AC to my eye. i have removed everythign around and had a good look. its as if the spring loaded tensioner has to be held back with some sort of spedial service tool (SST).
Today in a fit of rage i tried all sort of things, like bottle jacking the belt in towards the middle and sticking somethign in the litte lugs on the tensioner while it was held back by the belt tension created by the jack, no luck, nothing achieved there, just absolutely covered in thick black greasy oil and road grime and incredibly angry haha.
I then tried to jack the tensioner itself with an extension but it jsut kept slipping off.
SUrely someone on here has done somethign so simple as changing a belt on one of these things?
rebuilder86
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Keef » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Just a thought, is it petrol or diesel? There's not many petrol Transits over here so most people assume you're asking about a diesel engined van.

On every diesel I've had, there's been a long pivot bolt running front to back at the bottom of the ps pump bracket and a sliding clamp which is tensioned using a socket ratchet handle in the square hole provided.

No idea about petrol version.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby rebuilder86 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:55 pm

yeh its the diesel. 2.5 turbo 75 kw.
its not a banana engine, its the 4EB.
Huge pulley on the PS pump as a matter of fact.
The biggest pulley ive seen on an engine in my life.
rebuilder86
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby rebuilder86 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:12 am

well ive found part of the problem, the noise is actually the belt squealing on the pulley guides, as i sprayed some white lithium grease in the pulley bearings whcih did nothing, but then accidently sprayed some on the belt and everythign went quiet.
That leads me to beleive that the large woble in the crank puller / harmonic balancer, is the cause. :( So if anyone can tell me how to remove this belt, i will spend the money on a new harmonic balancer and a seal kit for the power steering pump.
rebuilder86
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby rebuilder86 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:20 am

just found my asnwer on here!!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=182229
rebuilder86
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions